Downtown Mart, Texas
Location of Mart, Texas
|• Total||1.3 sq mi (3.5 km2)|
|• Land||1.3 sq mi (3.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||525 ft (160 m)|
|• Density||1,692.0/sq mi (653.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1362206|
Mart is located at (31.542704, -96.831151).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.3 square miles (3.5 km²), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,273 people, 832 households, and 550 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,692.0 people per square mile (654.9/km²). There were 934 housing units at an average density of 695.2 per square mile (269.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 68.28% White, 27.54% African American, 0.48% Native American, 0.04% Asian, 2.46% from other races, and 1.19% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.81% of the population.
There were 832 households out of which 29.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.8% were married couples living together, 17.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.8% were non-families. 31.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.21.
In the city the population was spread out with 31.1% under the age of 18, 6.6% from 18 to 24, 22.7% from 25 to 44, 18.7% from 45 to 64, and 20.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 85.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 76.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $26,603, and the median income for a family was $33,203. Males had a median income of $26,750 versus $19,784 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,721. About 15.9% of families and 20.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 34.3% of those under age 18 and 7.7% of those age 65 or over.
The City of Mart is served by the Mart Independent School District.
- Quan Cosby, former wide receiver for The University of Texas currently with the Indianapolis Colts, is a native of Mart.
- Jesse Plemons, who plays Landry on NBC's Friday Night Lights, is a native of Mart.
- Cindy Walker, the famed country music songwriter of "You Don't Know Me", "Sugar Moon", and other hits, is a native of Mart.
- The soul blues singer, Frankie Lee, was born in Mart.
- E. Donnall Thomas, 1990 Nobel Laureate in Physiology or Medicine who showed that it was possible to transplant bone marrow to save the lives of patients dying from blood cancer and other blood disorders. Known as the Father of Bone Marrow Transplant.
- Cullen Rogers, NFL player
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Skelly, Richard. "Frankie Lee". AllMusic. Retrieved December 20, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mart, Texas.|