|Birth name||Martha Roseli Heredia Rivas|
February 1, 1991 |
Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic
|Genres||R&B, Latin, reggaeton|
|Years active||2004 - present|
|Associated acts||Mayré Martínez
María José Castillo
Martha Roseli Heredia Rivas (born February 1, 1991 in Santiago de los Caballeros) is a Dominican singer and the winner of the fourth season of the television program Latin American Idol. She is also sometimes known artistically as La baby (The Baby).
Martha Roseli Heredia Rivas was born in Santiago de los Caballeros, the second largest city in the Dominican Republic, on February 4, 1991. Heredia is the daughter of Felipe Heredia and Maritza Rivas. At the age of 13 Heredia discovered she had potential for singing and songwriting. At the age of 15, with her brother Luis Felipe, they created a group called Una Vía singing hip hop, reggaeton and other genres of urban music. Heredia later had the opportunity of working in the United States of America where she created and wrote her own songs. Since her rise to fame after Latin American Idol, Heredia has become a successful artist working in the USA and in the Dominican Republic.
Latin American Idol
At 18, Heredia traveled San José, Costa Rica to audition for the fourth season of Latin American Idol. She did well on her audition and later traveled to Argentina, where she was amongst the top performers of a Latin American Idol workshop. Her next test was to earn the most votes out of the 12 performers on the show. For two months, Heredia was very successful all the way up to the final between Heredia and Eduardo Aguirre of Costa Rica, where she performed with Franco de Vita. On December 10, 2009, after receiving more than 50% of the total number of votes, Martha Heredia became the new Latin American Idol.
December 2010 car accident and controversy
While driving from her home city Santiago, to the Dominican Republic capital of Santo Domingo, and more specifically driving through Villa Altagracia town, Martha crashed her vehicle, causing the death of a 16 year old Haitian student who was walking home. Martha herself suffered minor lesions, but after the incident became unavailable to both media outlets and also Dominican authorities.
On February 22, 2013, Heredia was arrested while attempting to board a plane bound from the Dominican Republic to New York. Allegedly 3.9 pounds of heroin were found in the heels of three pairs of her shoes. 7
- Short biography of Martha Heredia on an online blog
- Listin Diario. "País celebró triunfo de Martha anoche en Latin American Idol" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2010-09-24.
- Consaborapueblo. "Martha Heredia Lanza su primer CD" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2010-09-24.
- Alfombra Roja. "Regresa Martha Heredia y ya tiene listo su primer disco" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2010-09-24.
- Hoy. "¿Dónde está Martha Heredia?" (in Spanish). Retrieved 2010-12-19.
- "Martha Heredia, "Latin American Idol" winner, arrested for allegedly smuggling heroin". Crimesider. CBS. February 22, 1013. Retrieved February 21, 2013.
- New York Daily News: "Fallen ‘Idol’: 'Latin American Idol' winner busted trying to smuggle heroin into New York" February 22, 2013
|Latin American Idol