Martial law in Russia
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The Constitution of Russia declares the right of the President of Russia, who is also the Supreme Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation to declare Martial law in case of aggression towards Russia or threat of aggression. The main law that regulates the imposing of martial law is the federal constitutional law "On Martial law" (Russian: Федеральный конституционный закон о военном положении) that was approved in the Russian parliament and signed into law in 2002. The period of martial law begins with the date and time of martial law, which are set by the decree of the President of the Russian Federation on the introduction of martial law, and ends with the date and time of cancellation (termination) of martial law.
The total or partial mobilization, if it has not been announced previously, the introduction of martial law in the territory of the Russian Federation or in particular areas declared in accordance with federal laws and regulations of the Russian Federation.
The military situation in the Russian Federation or in areas thereof is introduced by the decree of the President of the Russian Federation.
President has to immediately report on the introduction of martial law, the Federation Council of Federal Assembly and the State Duma.
The decree of the President of the Russian Federation on the introduction of martial law must be defined: the circumstances giving rise to the imposition of martial law;date and time, which takes effect from the war and boundaries of the territory in which we introduce martial law. The decree on the introduction of martial law must be immediately made public via radio and television, as well as immediate official publication.
Presidential Decree on the introduction of martial law immediately transferred to the approval of the Federation Council. The Federation Council must within 48 hours of receipt of the decree to consider its approving. In case of force majeure under the given conditions meeting of the Federation can not be held in due time, this question can be considered at a later date specified in the first subparagraph of this paragraph.
Decision on approval of the decree of the President of the Russian Federation on the introduction of martial law by a majority vote of all members of the Federation Council and issued by decree. If the decree of the President of the Russian Federation on the introduction of martial law, the Federation Council had not approved such a decision is made by the Council of the Federation. If presidential decree on the introduction of martial law is not approved by the Federation Council, it ceases to have effect from the day after the date of this decision, as the population of the Russian Federation or its respective individual localities notified in the same manner in which it is advertised on the introduction of martial law.
Legal defenition of aggression agsinst Russia
The law stipulates what is aggression against Russia:
- The invasion or attack by the armed forces of a foreign country (group of states) on the territory of the Russian Federation, any military occupation of the territory of the Russian Federation, resulting from such invasion or attack, or any annexation by the Russian Federation or in part with the use of armed force.
- Bombardment by the armed forces of a foreign country (group of states) in the Russian Federation or the use of any weapons by a foreign state (a group of states) against the Russian Federation;
- blockade of the ports or coasts of the Russian Federation armed forces of a foreign country (group of states).
- attack by the armed forces of a foreign country (group of states) in Russian Federation Armed Forces and other troops, regardless of where they are deployed.
- of the foreign state (or group of states), allowing (enabling) to use its territory to another state (or group of states) to commit an act of aggression against the Russian Federation.
- The sending by a foreign state (a group of states), or on behalf of a foreign country (group of) armed bands, groups, irregulars or mercenaries which carry out acts of armed force against the Russian Federation, the equivalent specified in this paragraph acts of aggression.
The move to a martial law may include the initial stage of the strategic deployment of the Armed Forces, the process of reorganization in accordance with the requirements of the war. Includes bringing Armed Forces into the higher level of combat readiness of their mobilization, reduction of forces, formations and units on full alert. It can be implemented in stages, or one-off, for all of the Armed Forces, or partly, in districts and areas. The decision on these actions is taken the top political leadership of the state and implemented through the Russian Ministry of Defense.
On November 2010 President Medvedev signed amendmends to the law, changing the structure of military enlistment offices (Russian: военкомат). From now on the territory of the subject of the Russian Federation will operate only one Military Commission - the subject of the Russian military commissariat. In turn, the district military enlistment offices, as well as military enlistment offices of cities not divided into districts and other municipal departments converted to military recruitment offices of the RF subjects.
The enforcement of martial law by public authorities and military authorities in accordance with the powers granted to them by this Federal Constitutional Law, other federal laws and regulations of the Russian Federation, through the application of measures envisaged by this Federal Constitutional Law. The measures are applied by federal executive bodies, executive bodies of subjects of the Russian Federation and the military authorities on the basis of decrees of the President of the Russian Federation.
Local governments provide assistance to public authorities and bodies of military administration in ensuring the martial law regime.