|Birth name||Erik Martin Axenrot|
|Also known as||Devastator, Skeleton|
March 5, 1979 |
Linköping, Östergötland, Sweden
|Genres||Progressive death metal, death metal, progressive rock, thrash metal, black metal, jazz fusion|
|Instruments||Drums, percussion, guitar|
|Associated acts||Opeth, Bloodbath, Witchery, Satanic Slaughter, Nifelheim, Triumphator, Nathalie Lorichs|
Erik Martin "Axe" Axenrot (born March 5, 1979 in Linköping, Sweden) is a Swedish death metal drummer. Known for his intricate playing style, Axenrot is currently the drummer for the bands Opeth, Bloodbath and Witchery. Axenrot has been jokingly referred to as the The Lord of the Rings character Legolas by band members and fans. "He's kind of pretty, looks like Legolas," remarked Mikael Åkerfeldt who has also named him, "the most confused man I have ever met".
On Blabbermouth.com Åkerfeldt also said that Axenrot completed his drumming part for eleven tracks on the Opeth album 'Watershed' in just seven days. In an interview, Martin said, "Rudiments and technique in general were encouraged by my drum teacher Stig Bendric, who played in the army and with the Norrköping Symphonic Orchestra. He was a huge Buddy Rich fan, and could play really impressive stuff. It made me appreciate the sense of swing when playing".
Martin Axenrot's first band, Triumphator, formed in 1995 and made 2 records (an EP "The Ultimate Sacrifice" and full length "Wings of Antichrist"). Martin Axenrot was only involved with Triumphator's demo "The Triumph Of Satan", released 1996. He left Triumphator after the release of "The Triumph Of Satan".
In 1999, he was hired by Witchery and Nifelheim as their new drummers, but played with Nifelheim till 2000. Axenrot was then hired by Bloodbath in 2004, as their new drummer. He met Mikael Åkerfeldt sometime after 15 February 2005, when Peter Tägtgren quit Bloodbath and Åkerfeldt came back into the band again to replace Tägtgren. Axenrot commented on meeting Åkerfeldt, stating "I knew Mikael Åkerfeldt because of the Bloodbath project. I met the other members a couple times because I played festivals with other bands at the same time as Opeth. Sweden is too small to not know every band here. Everybody knows everybody." On 29 August 2005, Martin Lopez of Opeth, had to leave the band temporarily again due to his illnesses. With Opeth temporarily searching for a drummer, Patrik Jensen suggested to Åkerfeldt his bandmate in Witchery, Axe, to fill-in. With Åkerfeldt knowing Axe for a little bit by being bandmates in Bloodbath back then, but going on Jensen's reference, Åkerfeldt got Axe to play with Opeth for five tours. On May 12, 2006, Axenrot officially joined Opeth, as Lopez never returned to Opeth after deciding to focus on Soen.
- Erik Martin Axenrot (1979-03-05). "Ratsit - Gratis upplysning pЕ fЖretag och privatpersoner". Ratsit.se. Retrieved 2011-10-02.
- "Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives - Triumphator". The Metal Archives. Retrieved 2011-10-02.
- TK Dallman, October 14, 2008. "Opeth is breaking the metal mould". Interrobang, Retrieved on August 4, 2009
- "Interview with Opeth drummer Martin Axenrot". Drummerszone.com. Retrieved on August 10, 2011.
- "Opeth’s Martin Axenrot Weighs in on "Heritage," Opeth's Current and Future Direction and His Career". Metal Underground. 14 August 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Martin 'Axe' Axenrot". MetalStorm, Retrieved on August 4, 2009
- "Opeth website". Roadrunner Records. Retrieved 14 August 2012.