21 December 1948 |
Bromley, Kent, England
|Genres||Rock, new wave, pub rock, soul, rhythm and blues|
|Associated acts||The Rumour, Ducks Deluxe, Carlene Carter, Nick Lowe & His Cowboy Outfit|
Martin Belmont (born 21 December 1948) is a rock 'n' roll and country-blues guitarist.
Life and career
Belmont was born in Bromley, Kent, England. After working as a roadie for Brinsley Schwarz, in 1972 he formed Ducks Deluxe, issuing two albums on RCA. In 1975 he was a founding member of Graham Parker and the Rumour, who were much-feted over their five years and six albums; The Rumour recorded another three on their own. Then he spent two years from 1980 as guitarist for Carlene Carter, succeeded by five years with Nick Lowe & His Cowboy Outfit, in both line-ups playing alongside Paul Carrack.
Belmont continued as an in-demand sideman across a wide spectrum of music, with sessions for Elvis Costello, Billy Bragg, Carl Perkins, Jona Lewie, John Hiatt, Desmond Decker, Johnny Cash, Eddie Grundy and others.
In 1995 Demon Records issued his first solo album, Big Guitar. His first manager and old friend Dave Robinson then suggested he should invite former band-mates to provide vocals on his next recording, resulting in Belmont recording songs with Carrack, Nick Lowe, Carlene Carter, Graham Parker, Sean Tyla, Geraint Watkins, Hank Wangford, Johnny Nicky, Barbara Marsh and Reg Meuross. Much of the album The Guest List was recorded at Goldtop Studio, with a 'house band' featuring Roy Dodds, Kevin Foster and Howard Hughes. The album was released on Goldtop Recordings/Jungle Records in September 2009 with a launch concert at Dingwalls, Camden featuring performances by most of the album's guest singers.
The Guest List Gold Top Recordings: AU79CD003
- Paul Carrack - "My Baby's Gone"
- Johnny Nicky – "Time for the Sun to Rise"
- Nick Lowe – "A Man in Love" (original version)
- Sean Tyla – "Johnny Too Bad"
- Reg Meuross – "Seven Curses"
- Geraint Watkins – "Island of Dreams"
- Martin Belmont – "Get Rhythm"
- Carlene Carter – "Tall Lover Man"
- Martin Belmont – "Alison"
- Graham Parker – "In the Midnight Hour"
- Hank Wangford – "Waltzing with Sin"
- Martin Belmont – "I Viberate"
- Barbara Marsh – "Beyond the Blue Horizon".
- Allmusic biog Retrieved August 27, 2009
- Ducks Deluxe on Youtube
- Graham Parker and the Rumour live video evidence!
- As guitarist for Elvis Costello
- Recording with Johnny Cash on 'Rockabilly Blues'
- Partial discography