Martin Gerschwitz with Iron Butterfly in Prague on 7 October 2010
|Born||25 June 1952
|Genres||rock, hard rock, progressive rock, heavy metal, arena rock, blues rock|
|Instruments||Keyboards, piano, vocals, violin|
|Years active||1972 - present|
|Associated acts||Iron Butterfly, Eric Burdon, Lita Ford, Accept, Walter Trout|
Life and career
In 1972 he got his first big success: He won the "Battle of the bands" in Solingen, where he met Dieter Rubach (amongst other members of the popular heavy metal band Accept), but turned down to play with them as he got the opportunity to play with German entertainer Howard Carpendale, from 1974-1977.
In 1985, he moved to the United States. From 1987 to 1989 he was accompanied by Lita Ford (who also supported Bon Jovi around that time, where a concert at the Wembley Stadium was shot); in 1989 and 1990, he played with Meat Loaf's Neverland Express. In 1991, he played with Vanilla Fudge on the album "Back On Stage", and in 1991 and 1992, he was a permanent member of The Works. From 1993 to 1998 he played in the Walter Trout Band, where he met drummer Bernie Pershey.
In late 1999, he was asked to be the keyboardist for Eric Burdon & the New Animals, after Neal Morse and Ryo Okumoto (both Spock's Beard) left the band. In late 2001, their drummer Aynsley Dunbar was replaced by his old friend Bernie Pershey. Gerschwitz stayed with Burdon and his new Animals until late 2005 and played on four albums with them.
In the 2000s, he formed "Martin Gerschwitz & Friends", including his old friend Dieter Rubach on bass, Jan Mengeling on lead guitar and Martin Schwebel on drums. They also recorded a live DVD at the SAE, Frankfurt, in 2004. He continues to play worldwide tours with Iron Butterfly and solo.
The more he has worked and shared the stage with Scorpions, Cinderella, Eddie Van Halen, Loverboy, Tim Bogert, Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin), John Entwhistle (The Who), Steve Stevens, Britny Fox, U.D.O., Melanie Safka, Julian Thome, Andy Susemihl and many more.
- 1993 - Tellin' Stories (Walter Trout Band)
- 1995 - Breakin' The Rules (Walter Trout Band)
- 1997 - Positively Beale Street (Walter Trout Band)
- 1998 - Walter Trout (Walter Trout and the Free Radicals)
- 2000 - The Official Live Bootleg 2000 (Eric Burdon & the Animals)
- 2002 - Live in Seattle (Eric Burdon & the Animals)
- 2004 - My Secret Life (Eric Burdon)
- 2005 - Athens Traffic Live (Eric Burdon & the Animals)
Martin Gerschwitz & Friends
- 2003 - Martin Gerschwitz & Friends (Martin Gerschwitz & Friends)
- 2007 - Bridge to Eternity (Martin Gerschwitz & Friends)
- 1995 - Classic Melodies Vol. 1 (Dan Martin Band)
- 1996 - Classic Melodies Vol. 2 (Dan Lefler / Martin Gerschwitz)
- 1997 - Live (Dan Lefler / Martin Gerschwitz)
- 1998 - Classic Melodies Vol. 3 (Dan Lefler / Martin Gerschwitz)
- 1999 - California Trails (Double M: Michael Leukel & Martin Gerschwitz)
- 1999 - Lazy Afternoon (Martin Gerschwitz)
- 2000 - Nobody Knows Me (Martin Gerschwitz)
- 2007 - Somebody Should Know Me By Now (Martin Gerschwitz)
- 2011 - Martino's Christmas Music (Martin Gerschwitz)
- 2012 - I Only Look Loud (Martin Gerschwitz)
- 1981 - First Serving (Breakpoint)
- 1991 - Back On Stage (Vanilla Fudge)
- 1994 - Last Time It's Gonna Rain (T. J. Parker Band)
- 1994 - Happy Hour (Rhythm Lords)
- 1996 - Fantasy Is What We Need Today (Mallet)
- 1996 - Rhythm Brick (The Works)
- 1997 - Waiting for Solace (Kim Cuda)
- 2001 - Living for the Night (Hughes Revue)