||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008)|
|Born||May 20, 1978|
|Genres||Progressive metal, death metal, progressive death metal, progressive rock|
|Associated acts||Amon Amarth, Fifth to Infinity, Opeth, Soen|
|Premier drums, Sabian cymbals|
Martín López (born May 20, 1978 in Stockholm) is a Swedish-Uruguayan drummer, currently a member and co-founder of progressive metal supergroup Soen, but is best known as the ex-drummer of Swedish progressive death metal band Opeth and melodic death metal band Amon Amarth.
López was born in Sweden to Uruguayan settler parents, later moving to Uruguay, then back to Sweden.
López joined Opeth in 1997, after leaving Swedish melodic death metal band Amon Amarth on whose album Once Sent From the Golden Hall he played. With Opeth, he recorded the albums My Arms, Your Hearse, Still Life, Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Damnation and Ghost Reveries.
Although on May 12, 2006, due to health reasons, López permanently left Opeth to be replaced by Martin Axenrot, he wasn't active in the band almost right after the recording of Ghost Reveries. López now concentrates fully on his old band, Fifth to Infinity. On May 28, 2010, it was announced that Martín López, bassist Steve DiGiorgio, singer Joel Ekelöf and guitarist Kim Platbarzdis had joined forces in the band Soen. Their debut album, Cognitive, was released on February 15, 2012. Current Opeth drummer Martin Axenrot recently confirmed in an interview with swedishrock.com that Lopez recorded the drum tracks for the songs "Goblin" and "Voice of Treason" for Opeth's forthcoming album Pale Communion, making this his first performance with the band since 2006.
Martin endorsed Premier drums on the first albums with Opeth, he then switched over to Tama. His Premier kit was a Signia Marquis series, his Tama kit is a Starclassic series. He also endorses Sabian cymbals.
Martin's Tama kit
- 14" Gretsch new classic snare drum
- 10" Tama starclassic maple tom
- 12" Tama starclassic maple tom
- 13" Tama starclassic maple tom
- 14" Tama starclassic maple tom
- 16" Tama starclassic maple tom
- 2X 22" Tama starclassic kick drum
- 20" Sabian Radia Chinese
- 14" AA Regular hats
- 16" AA El Sabor crash
- 18" AAX Dark Crash
- 7" Vault Max Splash
- 9" Vault Max Splash
- 11" Vault Max splash
- 18" HHX Studio Crash
- 20" HHX Chinese
- 14" HH Mini Chinese
- 19" AAXplosion Crash
- 20" HH Jazz Ride
- 20" AAX Metal Ride (on Deliverance)
- Jan. 13, 2007, "OPETH Mainman Slams 'New Breed of Idiot Fans' for questions his judgement'", Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved on July 25, 2009
- "Blackeberg Records". Blackeberg Records. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- May. 28, 2010, "Former OPETH Drummer Joins Forces With SADUS Bassist", Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved on May 28, 2010