|Competitor for Kenya|
|Bronze||2007 Osaka||10,000 m|
Martin Irungu Mathathi (born 25 December 1985 in Nyahururu) is a Kenyan long-distance runner, who competes in track, cross country and road running events. Mathathi won the bronze medal in the 10,000 metres at the 2007 World Championships in Osaka. He represented his country in the same event at the 2008 Summer Olympics. He holds the 10 miles world junior record of 44:51.
He trains with PACE Sports Management. He was schooled at Sipili secondary school.
Mathathi was the 2010 winner of the men's short race at the Chiba Cross Country in Japan. He won the Sendai Half Marathon in a personal best time of 59:48 minutes, easily beating second placed Mekubo Mogusu.
He gained selection for the 2011 World Championships in Athletics and came fifth for Kenya in the men's 10,000 m. That year, Mathathi set a course record for the Great North Run half marathon, finishing in a time of 58 minutes 56 seconds. Two weeks later he also won the Great Edinburgh Run 10K in course record time. At the start of 2012 he finished second at the Chiba Cross Country meet. He won the 10,000 m at the Hyogo Relays with a world-leading time of 27:35.16 minutes, but said that he intended to miss the Olympics and focus on a marathon debut at the Fukuoka Marathon instead. He won the Gifu Half Marathon for a second time in May and won the Sapporo Half Marathon in July.
Mathathi attempted to run the fastest marathon debut at the Fukuoka Marathon but he dropped out of the race after 38 km. He attempted to extend his undefeated streak at the Gifu Half Marathon and although he finished in 1:00:54 hours he was runner-up to world champion Zersenay Tadese.
|2005||World Championships||Helsinki, Finland||5th||10,000 m|
|2006||World Cross Country Championships||Fukuoka, Japan||3rd||Long race|
|World Cross Country Championships||Fukuoka, Japan||1st||Team competition|
|2007||World Championships||Osaka, Japan||3rd||10,000 m|
|2008||Olympic Games||Beijing, China||7th||10,000 m|
|2011||World Championships||Daegu, South Korea||5th||10,000 m|
- 5000 metres - 13:03.84 min (2004)
- 10,000 metres - 26:59.88 min (2009)
- Half marathon - 58:56 min (2011)
- Nakamura, Ken (2010-02-14). Karoki, Mathathi, and Katsumata prevail at Chiba Cross Country. IAAF. Retrieved on 2010-02-14.
- Results of Male Runners. Sendai Half Marathon. Retrieved on 2010-08-30.
- Martin, David (2011-10-02). Mathathi clocks course record in Edinburgh 10Km. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-10-02.
- Nakamura, Ken (2012-02-12). Kenyan high schoolers dominate at Chiba Cross Country. IAAF. Retrieved on 2012-02-12.
- Larner, Brett (2012-04-22). Mathathi and Niiya Run 10000 m World Leaders at Hyogo Relay Carnival. Japan Running News. Retrieved on 2012-04-28
- Larner, Brett (2012-05-20). Mathathi Wins Second-Straight Gifu Seiryu Half Marathon, Kalmer Sets Women's Course Record. Japan Running News. Retrieved on 2013-05-20.
- Nakamura, Ken (2012-07-01). Mathathi and Ito win Sapporo Half. IAAF. Retrieved on 2012-07-09.
- Nakamura, Ken (2012-12-02). 2:06:58 win for Gitau in Fukuoka. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-02-14.
- Nakamura, Ken (2013-05-19). Course records for Tadese and Tufa at Gifu Seiryu Half Marathon. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-05-20.