Martin Smith (English musician)
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (July 2008)|
Martin Smith performs in concert
|Birth name||Martin Smith|
|Born||6 July 1970|
|Origin||Stoke On Trent, Staffordshire, England, United Kingdom|
|Genres||Christian rock, alternative rock, acoustic music|
|Labels||Furious?, Survivor, Sparrow, Virgin|
Martin James Smith (born 6 July 1970) is an English vocalist, guitarist, and songwriter. Smith was the front man of the Christian rock and worship band Delirious?. Some of the most recognised songs by Delirious? include "I Could Sing of Your Love Forever", "History Maker", "My Glorious", "Did You Feel the Mountains Tremble?", "Shout To The North", "Deeper", "Majesty (Here I Am)", and "What a Friend I've Found". When Delirious? disbanded in 2009, Smith became a solo artist.
Before becoming a full-time musician, Smith was a sound engineer at ICC studios in Eastbourne.
Along with Stewart Smith (no relation) and Tim Jupp, Smith formed The Cutting Edge in 1992.
In 1995, Smith and his wife were involved in a near-fatal car accident, and during the weeks of his recovery, he decided to become a full-time musician. This inspired him to write the song "August 30". In 1996, the band, now known as Delirious?, became a full-time endeavor.
The band announced that they would take a break at the end of 2009 to focus on things close to them. Smith said that he wanted to spend with his family and devote more time to the CompassionArt project. CompassionArt is an art and International development charity headed by Smith and his wife. The band later confirmed that they were breaking up permanently after a final concert in November 2009.
In 2012 and 2013, Smith independently released four EPs, titled God's Great Dancefloor Movements 1-4. Each EP contains new songs, written or co-written by Smith. The title track was co-written with Chris Tomlin, which uses samples from Lionel Richie's 1986 single "Dancing on the Ceiling". In 2013 he released his first full albums God's Great Dancefloor Step 01 and God's Great Dancefloor Step 02, each containing the songs from the four EPs, plus new tracks.
Smith also collaborated with the other members of Delirious? on the 2007 book I Could Sing of Your Love Forever: Stories, Reflections and Devotions. In 2011, he released his autobiography, Delirious: The Autobiography of Martin Smith.
- As a solo artist
- 1998 - The People's Album (Compilation Album) - 2 Songs
- 1999 - The People's Album 2 (Compilation Album) - 1 Song
- 2002 - Your Love Broke Through (Compilation Album) - 1 Song
- 2012 - God's Great Dance Floor Movement One (EP)
- 2012 - God's Great Dance Floor Movement Two (EP)
- 2012 - God's Great Dance Floor Movement Three (EP)
- 2013 - God's Great Dance Floor Movement Four (EP)
- 2013 - God's Great Dance Floor - Step 01 (Album comprising Movement One & Two EPs plus two new songs)
- 2013 - God's Great Dance Floor - Step 02 (Album comprising Movement Three & Four EPs, plus three new songs)
- 2014 - Back to the Start (compilation album of songs from the two previous God's Great Dance Floor releases)
- With CompassionArt
- 2009 - CompassionArt - (3 songs)
- With Delirious?
- 1993 - Cutting Edge 1
- 1994 - Cutting Edge 2
- 1995 - Cutting Edge 3: Red Tape
- 1995 - Cutting Edge Fore
- 1996 - Live & In the Can
- 1997 - King of Fools
- 1998 - d:tour
- 1999 - Mezzamorphis
- 2000 - Glo
- 2000 - Roaring Lambs (compilation album) - 1 Song
- 2001 - Audio Lessonover?
- 2002 - Deeper
- 2002 - Libertad
- 2002 - Touch
- 2002 - Access:D
- 2003 - World Service
- 2004 - In the Name of Love: Artists United for Africa (compilation album) - 1 Song
- 2005 - The Mission Bell
- 2006 - Now Is the Time – Live at Willow Creek
- 2008 - Kingdom of Comfort
- 2009 - My Soul Sings
- 2010 - Farewell Show - Live in London
- With Delirious? and Hillsong
- 2004 - UP: Unified Praise CD
- 2004 - UP: Unified Praise DVD
- With Delirious? and André Valadão
- 2008 - Unidos
- With Delirious? and Amy Grant
- 1999 - Streams (compilation album) - 1 Song
- With Stu Garrard
- 1995 - Have You Heard?
- With Israel Houghton
- 2009 - The Power of One - 1 Song
- With Tim Hughes
- With Jars of Clay
- 2005 - Redemption Songs - 1 Song
- With Graham Kendrick
- 2001 - What Grace - 1 Song
- With Parachute Band
- 2011 - Love Without Measure - (featured artist on "It's You")
- With Matt Redman
- With Michael W. Smith
- 2004 - Healing Rain (wrote 3 songs)
- With Taylor Sorenson
- 2004 - Exodus (compilation album) - 1 Song
- With Darlene Zschech
- 2003 - Kiss of Heaven - 1 Song
- With Jesus Culture
- 2012 - Live from New York (album)
- Delirious? Biography
- "The end of an era - press release". Delirious?. 6 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-08.
- Tear Times, Tearfund, Spring 2010, p.30.
- Smith, Martin. "God's Great Dance Floor". Retrieved 2013-05-06.[non-primary source needed]