Martin Warner (bishop)
|The Rt Revd
MA PhD SSC
|Bishop of Chichester|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Chichester|
|Elected||2 July 2012 (confirmed)|
|Installed||25 November 2012|
|Other posts||Bishop of Whitby
|Consecration||26 January 2010|
|Born||24 December 1958|
|Alma mater||University of Durham|
Education and ordained ministry
Warner studied at St Chad's College, University of Durham in the 1970s and then trained for ordination at St Stephen's House, Oxford, later earning a PhD in Durham. He was the Canon Pastor at St Paul’s Cathedral from 2003 to 2008 and then Canon Treasurer there until 2009.
Warner was consecrated as a bishop in the Church of England at York Minster on 26 January 2010 and then welcomed on 30 January 2010 at St Hilda's Church, Whitby. He suffered a cardiac arrest on 23 August 2010 while on holiday in Florence, but has since returned to work. From 2008 to 2011, Warner wrote the weekly "Sunday's Readings" column for the Church Times.
On 3 May 2012, Warner's appointment as the next diocesan Bishop of Chichester was announced, his election was confirmed on 2 July and his enthronement took place in Chichester Cathedral on 25 November.
On 20 November 2012, Warner was one of three diocesan bishops in the General Synod who voted against a motion to allow the ordination of women as bishops in the Church of England. His position on the issue has been criticised by some local clergy and parishioners across the Chichester diocese.
- Assistant Curate at St Peter's, Plymouth (1984–1988)
- Team Vicar of the Parish of the Resurrection, Leicester (1988–1993)
- Administrator of the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham (1993–2002)
- Currently Master of the Guardians of the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham
- Priest in Charge of Hempton with Pudding Norton (1998–2000)
- Honorary Canon of Norwich Cathedral (2000–?)
- Associate Vicar at St Andrew's, Holborn (2002–2003)
- Canon Pastor of St Paul's Cathedral (2003–2008)
- Canon Treasurer of St Paul's Cathedral (2008–2009)
- Suffragan Bishop of Whitby (2010-2012)
- Bishop of Chichester (2012–present)
- Martin Warner Esq (1958–1984)
- The Revd Martin Warner (1984–2000)
- The Revd Canon Martin Warner (2000–2010)
- The Rt Revd Martin Warner (2010–present)
- Diocese of York — Consecration of the Bishop of Whitby
- The Chichester Diocesan Fund and Board of Finance Incorporated – Report of the Board and Financial Statements for the year ended 31 December 2012 p. 6 (Accessed 15 July 2013)
- Diocese of Chichester — “Do not be afraid” says new Bishop as he surveys national and local challenges
- Who's Who 2012 – Whitby, Bishop Suffragan of
- St Paul's Annual Report 2008
- Diocese of York — Service of Welcome for the Bishop of Whitby
- "Bishop Martin Warner taken ill". The Diocese of York. 24 August 2010. Retrieved 25 August 2010.
- Diocese of York — Update from Bishop Martin
- Number 10 – Diocese of Chichester
- "General Synod — November 2012 — Electronic voting results for Item 501". Thinking Anglicans. 20 November 2012. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "Chichester Observer — Women bishops row heats up in Chichester". Chichester Observer. 30 November 2012. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Chichester