Martin van Drunen
|Martin van Drunen|
|Genres||Death metal, Thrash metal|
|Occupations||Bassist, vocalist, lyricist|
|Associated acts||Pestilence, Asphyx, Comecon, Bolt Thrower, Hail of Bullets|
Martin van Drunen (Born 1966, Uden) is a Dutch death metal vocalist, who started out in the band Pestilence. In this band, he also performed the bass duties live. He recorded two albums with them, Malleus Maleficarum and Consuming Impulse. After his departure from Pestilence, he joined Asphyx as the singer and bass player in 1987. For this band he recorded two albums as well. He performed guest vocals on Comecon's second album Converging Conspiracies in 1993 and then formed his own band called Submission. In 1995, he was asked to replace Karl Willetts in the UK death metal band Bolt Thrower. He did two tours with them, but never recorded an album.
In 2006 an 'all star' death metal band by the name Hail of Bullets was formed with van Drunen doing vocals, ex-Houwitser bass player Theo van Eekelen, Gorefest drummer Ed Warby and both Thanatos guitarists Paul Baayens and Stephan Gebédi. In May 2008 they released an album called …Of Frost and War. In 2009 van Drunen performed guest vocals on The Project Hate MCMXCIX's album The Lustrate Process. In October 2010, Hail of Bullets released their second album On Divine Winds.
In death metal genre, Martin is very well known for his unique approach to vocals. He uses a higher pitched death growl, something which many fans describe as 'tortured screams'. Because of that, he is one of the most well known death metal vocalists.
EPs & Others
- Crush the Cenotaph EP (1992)
- Death... The Brutal Way 7" advance single (2008)
- Live Death Doom live DVD (2010)
- Converging Conspiracies (1993)
With Death By Dawn
- One Hand, one Foot and a lot of Teeth
With Hail of Bullets
- Hail of Bullets (demo)
- …Of Frost and War (2008)
- Warsaw Rising (EP) (2009)
- On Divine Winds (2010)
- III: The Rommel Chronicles (2013)
With Grand Supreme Blood Court
- Bow Down Before the Blood Court (2012)
- Serba, John. "Biography: Pestilence". Allmusic. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Review: Malleus Maleficarum". Allmusic. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- Serba, John. "Review: Consumin Impulse". Allmusic. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Biography: Asphyx". Allmusic. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- "Credits: Converging Conspiracies". Allmusic. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Biography: Bolt Thrower". Allmusic. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- Monger, James Christopher. "Biography: Hail of Bullets". Allmusic. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- Prato, Greg. "Review: Of Frost and War". Allmusic. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- Metal Judgement. "Review: On Divine Winds".