||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (April 2011)|
Professor Martine J. Piccart-Gebhart, MD, Ph.D (born 1953) is a Belgian medical doctor and President of the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC). She is head of chemotherapy at the Jules Bordet Institute in Brussels and associate professor in oncology at the ULB.
She graduated as a Medical Doctor at the Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB) in 1978 where she also met Michael Gebhart. She obtained her internal medicine certification at the ULB in 1983. After she graduated she worked as a fellow for two years with Professor Franco Muggia at New York University Medical Center (1983–85). Afterwards she returned to Brussels, where she worked for Professor J. Klastersky, head of internal medicine at the Jules Bordet Institute. She became certified in European Medical Oncology in London in 1989, and earned her PhD from the ULB in 1993.
She continued working at the institute and specialized in breast cancer and ovarian cancer. In 1996, she founded the Breast International Group (BIG) and since 2006 she is President of the EORTC until 2009. She is Chair of the VZW - BCWG (Vereniging zonder winstoogmerk, Breast Cancer Working Group). She is Chair of the World Congress on Controversies in Breast Cancer (CoBRA).
- Fleuris Mercier Award for the best medical student
- 1997: European Society of Medical Oncology Award
- 2004: Award from the Breast Cancer Research Foundation
- 2004: Prix Mois du Cancer du Sein
- 2005: Freedom to Discover grant from Bristol-Myers Squibb
- 2005: Jacqueline Seroussi Memorial Foundation for Cancer Research Award
- 2006: Claude Jacquillat Award for achievements in clinical oncology
- 2006: ESMO-GSK Lifetime Achievement Award in Breast Cancer Research (to the BIG)
- 2007: Miami Breast Cancer Conference Award of Excellence for 2007
- 2013: David Karnofsky Memorial Award 2013
- Martine Piccart: medic and musician
- Martine J. Piccart-Gebhart, MD, PhD
- World Congress on Controversies in Breast Cancer (CoBRA)
|This article about a Belgian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|