Martingrove Collegiate Institute
|Martingrove Collegiate Institute|
|50 Winterton Drive
Toronto, Ontario, M9B 3G7, Canada
|School board||Toronto District School Board|
|Area trustee||Chris Glover (Ward 2)|
|Vice Principals||Ms. Mavrou, Mr. Masciotra|
|School type||High School|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Area||Martin Grove Road and Eglinton Avenue|
|Team name||Martingrove Bears|
|Colours||Brown, White and Orange|
|Founded||May 28, 1966|
|Enrollment||1,400 (March 30, 2010)|
Martingrove Collegiate Institute (MCI) is a non-semestered public secondary school located on the southeast corner at the intersection of Eglinton Avenue and Martin Grove Road in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is overseen by the Toronto District School Board. The school is home to the gifted program in Etobicoke. Construction of the school began on May 27, 1966, but by the Fall of 1966 it was still not ready to accept students. All Martingrove students were bused to Burnhamthorpe C.I. for the Fall Term where they shared the school in a "split-shift" with the regular Burnhamthorpe students. The Martingrove students had the afternoon shift, the Burnhamthorpe students had the morning shift. This continued until after the Christmas break. The school celebrated its 40th anniversary in June 2006. Martingrove is host to one of the largest Model United Nations in Ontario, which has been running annually for over 26 years. The event draws on hundreds of students across the Toronto District School Board, as well as notable speakers such as Bob Rae.
Martingrove's school colours are brown, white and orange and its mascot is a bear. The school's motto is lumen in vobis est (The Light is Within You). The student-run newsmagazine The Martingrove Beacon, has, since its creation in 2002, won 15 Toronto Star High School Newspaper awards.. In 2011, Fraser Institute ranked Martingrove among the top highschools in Toronto. In 2013, the thinktank ranked Martingrove 112th out of 718 Ontario Highschools. 
Terry Baytor Scandal
In 2010, former principal Terry Baytor was charged with stealing up to $90,000 from the school's student fund.  Baytor, who served as the principal of Martingrove Collegiate Institute from 2002 to 2009 pleaded guilty to charges of theft over $5,000 on November 22nd, 2011. He was given a 18-month conditional sentence, with house arrest for the first year, and 100 hours of community service and was ordered not to return to the Etobicoke school. Baytor apologized in court but did not give an explanation for stealing the money. 
- Tom Cochrane, Musician
- Daniel DeSanto, Actor (Half Baked, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Breakaway)
- Bruce Driver, Former NHL Hockey Player and Stanley Cup champion (New Jersey Devils)
- Rumbani Munthali, Soccer Player (Toronto Lynx, Richmond Kickers)
- Kiefer Sutherland, Actor (24, The Lost Boys, A Time to Kill)
- Ravi Vakil, Professor of Mathematics Stanford.
- Denis McGrath, Screenwriter and producer.
- Brittany MacLean, 400m Freestyle Olympic Swimmer (Qualified for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London)
- Nathan Cullen, Canadian Federal politician in the New Democratic Party
- Basia Bulat, Musician
- Malcolm Subban, NHL Draftee (Boston Bruins). Plays goalie for the Providence Bruins.
- Abhijit Patel, Professor of Therapeutic Radiology at Yale School of Medicine
- Mark Ellis, co-creator, Executive Producer of Flashpoint