Martini & Rossi
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)|
|Key people||Alessandro Martini, Luigi Rossi, Teofilo Sola|
|Products||Vermouth and sparkling wine|
|Parent||Bacardi & Company Limited|
Martini & Rossi is an Italian multinational alcoholic beverage company primarily associated with the Martini brand of vermouth and also with sparkling wine (for example, Asti). It also produces the French vermouth, Noilly Prat.
The company started in the mid-19th century, as a vermouth bottling plant in Pessione — the Distilleria Nazionale di Spirito di Vino. Three men came to dominate the company, businessman Alessandro Martini, winemaker Luigi Rossi and accountant Teofilo Sola, and in 1863 they changed the name to Martini, Sola & Cia. The Sola family sold out in 1879, and the company became known as Martini & Rossi.
- 1892 - The business is taken over by Rossi's four sons.
- 1929 - The Martini Ball & Bar logo is registered for the first time.
- 1930 - Rossi's grandsons take over control of the company.
- 1977 - The company is restructured with the creation of the General Beverage Corporation.
- 1993 - Martini & Rossi merged with Bacardi
Since the earliest days of the company, Martini have marketed their products aggressively, with some memorable TV advertising and sponsoring events under their MARTINI Terrazza logo. The company has been involved in motor racing sponsorship under the Martini Racing banner since 1968, and is now a main sponsor of Scuderia Ferrari.
Vermouth is made from wine with added sugar, alcohol and botanicals (herbs and spices).
- Martini Rosso — 1863
- Martini Bianco — 1910
- Martini Extra Dry — This was launched on New Year's Day 1900.
- Martini Rosato
- Martini D’Oro — 1998
- Martini Fiero
- Martini Gold
- Martini Royale
- Noilly Prat, a French vermouth owned by the company
Their sparkling wines are all from northern Italy, and are sold under the Martini & Rossi brand:
- Martini & Rossi Asti (75cl and blue 25cl bottles) from Piedmont
- Martini & Rossi Prosecco (75cl bottles) from Veneto
- Martini & Rossi red wine & gin