|Fields||Family & Marriage Therapist
Certified Sex Therapist
|Known for||sex education
Marty Ralph Klein (born 1950) is an American sex therapist, author, educator and public policy analyst. Klein is critical of censorship, the concepts of "sex addiction" and "porn addiction," and the anti-pornography movement. Klien is a member of the HarperCollins Speakers Bureau.
Life and career
He has written several books on sexuality, and his book America's War on Sex, honored as the year's Best Sexuality Book by AASECT. It documents how the issue of sexual regulation is being used to undermine secular democracy. Marty Klein details in the book that there is a well-coordinated, deeply funded war on sexuality, and it's being fought on many different fronts:
- the laws that restrict access to information and products and services;
- the mythologies that legislators are relying on to make terrible laws;
- the guilt that people feel;
- the anxiety people have about their kids' safety when it comes to sexuality.
The book explores our country's deep-seated anxiety about sexuality and the lengths to which our government is willing to go to keep its citizens sexually repressed. Klein's work challenges American society's (and psychotherapy’s) assumptions about sexuality; he is particularly critical of what he calls the "Sexual Disaster Industry" and the “Oprah-ization” of psychotherapy and medicine. More recently he has spoken out against the criminalization and cruel punishment of teen “sexting.”
Klein participates in court cases involving issues such as censorship, obscenity, and sexual expression. Klein has served as an expert witness or invited defendant in federal and state cases.
Klein has written over 100 articles for publications such as The Journal of Sex Research, San Francisco Medicine, The Journal of Homosexuality, and Contemporary Sexuality, as well as Parents, Playboy, American Baby, Modern Bride, and New Woman.
Klein maintains a blog, Sexual Intelligence, and a monthly on-line newsletter with the same title.
- Klein, Marty (1988). Your Sexual Secrets: When to Keep Them, When & How to Tell. Pacifica Pr. ISBN 978-0525247166.
- Klein, Marty (1996). Ask Me ... Anything: Dr. Klein Answers the Sex Questions You'd Love to Ask. SexEd Press. ISBN 978-0970452634.
- Klein, Marty; Robbins, Riki (1999). Let Me Count the Ways: Discovering Great Sex Without Intercourse. Tarcher. ISBN 978-0874779561.
- Klein, Marty (2002). Beyond Orgasm: Dare to Be Honest about the Sex You Really Want. Ten Speed Press. ISBN 978-1587611681.
- Klein, Marty (2002). Sexual Intelligence: Politics, Culture, the Media, and Sex. SexEd Press. ISBN 978-0970452672.
- Klein, Marty (2006). America's War on Sex: The Continuing Attack on Law, Lust, and Liberty. Praeger. ISBN 978-1440801280.
- Klein, Marty (2012). Sexual Intelligence: What We Really Want from Sex--and How to Get It. HarperCollins. ISBN 978-0062098580.
- As examples, take some of his papers:
- Klein, Marty (June / July 2003). "Sex Addiction: A Dangerous Clinical Concept". SIECUS (ProQuest Academic Research Library) 31 (5): 8–11. Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- Klein, Marty (July / August 2012). "You’re Addicted to What? Challenging the Myth of Sex Addiction". Humanist (journal) (American Humanist Association) 72 (4). Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- "Marty Klein, Ph.D.". Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Monday Reviews: America’s War on Sex". The Center for Sexual Pleasure and Health. September 10, 2012. Retrieved 2013-01-01
- Dr. Marty Klein; Melanie Gorman, Rachel Kleinman (May 22, 2012). "War on Sex? An Interview With Dr. Marty Klein". Yourtango.com
- DR. MARTY KLEIN // Lippincott Massie McQuilkin Literary Agency
- “Sexting” Can’t—Repeat, Can’t—Kill Anyone
- Cyberspace Communications, Inc. v. Engler, 142 F Supp. 2d 827 (E.D. Mich 2001)
- ACLU v. Goddard, Civ. No. 00-0505 TUC AM (D. Ariz. Aug 11, 2004)
- US v. Fletcher (2008)
- US v. Marcus (2004)
- Williams v. Pryor, D. C. Docket No. 98-01938-CV-5 (2007)
- Klein, Marty. "Sexual Intelligence". Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- Audio Interview with Dr. Marty Klein on "America's War on Sex" – includes transcript
- Nightline: Is Sex Addiction Real?
- ABC – TV's 20/20: Age of Consent: Criminalization of Sex
- American Library Association: Sex, Libraries, & Librarians—hysteria over perverts and sexy books is killing the system
- EmpowHER: Are Sex Toys for Women Legitimate?
- The New Yorker: The Pathology of Sex
- SF Weekly: Is There Such a Thing as Sex Addiction?
- Wired: Is 'Internet Normal' the New 'Sex Normal'?
- New York Times: More Sex, Less ‘Joy’
- Salon.com: Is Sex Addiction Real?