From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up maru in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Maru may refer to:
- Maru (surname), a surname of Indic origin
- Maru Daba (born 1980), an Ethiopian runner
- Maru Sira (died 1975), a Sri Lankan criminal who was executed
- Hakudo Maru, a spirit in Japanese mythology who taught humans how to make ships
- Maru (mythology), a Māori war god
- Ngāti Maru (disambiguation), several Māori tribes of New Zealand
- Maggie Rhyme, sometimes known as Maru, an Irish rapper and songstress
- Cho Seong Ju, known under the pseudonym Maru is a professional StarCraft II player from South Korea, who is currently playing for Jin Air Green Wings.
- Maru, Estonia, village in Halliste Parish, Viljandi County, Estonia
- Maru, Iran (disambiguation)
- Maru, Kathmandu, a market and ceremonial square in Kathmandu, Nepal
- Maru, Nigeria, Local Government Area in Zamfara State
- Maru, Shwegu, a village in Shwegu Township in Bhamo District in the Kachin State of north-eastern Burma
- Maru-Aten, a palace or sun-temple in Armarna, Egypt
- Măru (disambiguation), the name of several villages in Romania
- Măru River (disambiguation) the name of several rivers in Romania
- Măru Roşu (disambiguation), the name of several villages in Romania
- Mount Maru (disambiguation) (丸山), the name for several mountains on Hokkaidō, Japan
- In Japanese:
- maru (まる), meaning circle (◯; Unicode: U+25EF)
- maru (まる), meaning "correct"; the opposite of batsu
- maru (まる), meaning zero (0)
- maru (丸), synonym for kuruwa, a type of Japanese castle wall
- A Japanese diacritical mark ( ゜) used in kana to change an h to a p
- A Japanese punctuation mark (。) for the end-of-sentence fullstop
- Maru language, one of several languages spoken among the Kachin people in Myanmar/Burma and China.
Media and entertainment
- Maru, a novel by Bessie Head
- Maru (cat), a particular cat in Japan that has become an Internet celebrity
- Maru (comics), a fictional villain appearing in the Master of Kung Fu series published by Marvel Comics
- Maru's Mission, an action video game released in 1991 by Jaleco
- Maru Piravi, an Indian Tamil film
- Eureka Maru, a fictional starship from the television show Andromeda
- Kobayashi Maru, training exercise in the films Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) and Star Trek (2009)
- Piper Maru, episode 3x15 of The X-Files
- Piper Maru, the name of an icebreaker in the film Alien vs. Predator
- The word maru is a common suffix to Japanese ship names. See Japanese ship-naming conventions. Notable examples include:
- Daigo Fukuryu Maru, a fishing vessel exposed to radiation from a US nuclear test in 1954
- Ehime Maru, a fishing training ship that collided with the USS Greeneville in 2001
- Hashidate Maru, a Japanese oil tanker converted to factory whaling ship
- Komagata Maru, a Japanese steam liner denied entry to Vancouver, Canada in 1914
- Montevideo Maru, a Japanese ship sunk in World War II, resulting in the loss of large numbers of Australian prisoners of war and civilians and Australia's worst maritime disaster
- Nippon Maru, flagship of daimyo Toyotomi Hideyoshi's 16th century fleet
- Nisshin Maru, a Japanese whaling ship involved in collisions with Greenpeace vessels in 1999 and 2006, and with Sea Shepherd ships in 2013
- No. 23 Nittō Maru, a patrol boat sunk after it encountered the USS Hornet (CV-8), causing the early launch of the Doolittle Raid
- Ryō Un Maru, a Japanese fishing boat washed away from her moorings after the 2011 Tōhoku tsunami, and was deliberately sunk on 5 April 2012 after entering U.S. waters off the coast of Alaska.
- Tatsuta Maru, a Japanese troopship sunk in 1943
- Kobayashi Maru, a fictional starship in the television series "Star Trek" which is part of a simulated test for Captain Kirk.
- Alternate term for Madu, a weapon of Indian origin.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.