|Born||Marvin H. Albert
January 22, 1924
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
|Died||March 24, 1996
Marvin H. Albert, (22 January 1924 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States – 24 March 1996 Menton, France) was a writer of mystery, crime and adventure novels including ones featuring Pete (Pierre-Ange [French: Stone Angel]) Sawyer, a French-American private investigator living and working in France.
During World War II Albert served in the United States Merchant Marine and began writing full-time over the success of his 1956 Western novel The Law and Jake Wade. He sometimes wrote under pseudonyms such as Albert Conroy, Ian McAlister, Nick Quarry and Anthony Rome. Settings for his novels include France (where he lived for some time), Miami and the Old West.
- The Law and Jake Wade (1956), filmed under the same title (1958)
- Apache Rising (1957), filmed as Duel at Diablo (1966)
- The Bounty Killer (1958), filmed as (Italian-Spanish movie) El Precio de un Hombre (1966), aka The Ugly Ones in the US.
- Renegade Posse (1958), filmed as Bullet for a Badman (1964)
- The Reformed Gun (1959)
- Rider from Wind River (1959)
- Posse at High Pass (1964)
Westerns written under the name Al Conroy
A series featuring the common character Clayburn. They were later reprinted in 1989-90 under Marvin Albert's own name.
- Clayburn (1961).
- Last Train to Bannock (1963)
- Three Rode North (1964)
- The Man in Black (1965), filmed as Rough Night in Jericho (1967; Albert also wrote the screenplay)
Tony Rome series
- A series featuring the private detective Tony Rome.
- Miami Mayhem (1960), filmed as Tony Rome (1967)
- The Lady in Cement, (1961) filmed as Lady in Cement (1968)
- My Kind of Game (1962)
Stone Angel series
- A series featuring the common character Pete Sawyer.
- The Don is Dead (1972)
- The Dark Goddess (1978)
- Stone Angel (1986)
- Back in the Real World (1986)
- Get Off at Babylon (1987)
- Long Teeth (1987)
- The Last Smile (1988)
- The Midnight Sister (1989)
- Bimbo Heaven (1990)
- The Zig-Zag Man (1991)
- The Riviera Contract (1992)
Other crime thrillers
- The Looters (1961), filmed as Estouffade à la Caraïbe (1966)
Non fiction works
- The Long White Road a biography of the Arctic explorer Ernest Shackleton
- Broadsides and Boarders a history of great sea captains
- The Divorce about Henry VIII.
- Party Girl (1958)
- All the Young Men (1960)
- Move Over Darling (1963)
- Palm Springs Weekend (1963)
- The Pink Panther (1963)
- The Outrage (1964)
- What's New, Pussycat? (1965)
- Tony Rome (1967)
- The Untouchables (1987)
- Mr. Lucky (1959)
- Grimes, William (31 March 1996). "Marvin H. Albert, 73, an Author Of Mysteries and Biographies". The New York Times. Retrieved 20 January 2011.
- Dell Publishing, OCLC 23181101