Williams (left) with the Hawks in 2012
|No. 2 – Charlotte Hornets|
|Position||Small forward / Power forward|
June 19, 1986 |
|Listed height||6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)|
|Listed weight||237 lb (108 kg)|
|High school||Bremerton (Bremerton, Washington)|
|College||North Carolina (2004–2005)|
|NBA draft||2005 / Round: 1 / Pick: 2nd overall|
|Selected by the Atlanta Hawks|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NBA.com|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Marvin Gaye Williams, Jr. (born June 19, 1986) is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for the Charlotte Hornets of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He played college basketball under coach Roy Williams at the University of North Carolina. He has previously played for the Atlanta Hawks and Utah Jazz.
High school career
Williams was a standout for Bremerton High School in Bremerton, Washington. Williams earned numerous awards, including being named a McDonald's All-American, a Parade All-American, and all-state. As a senior, he averaged 28.7 points, 15.5 rebounds, 5 blocks and 5 assists per game.
As a freshman, Williams was an integral part of the North Carolina 2004–05 national championship basketball team. He averaged 11.3 points and 6.6 rebounds per game in 22.2 minutes. As the team's sixth man, Williams provided the Tar Heels with an explosive spark off the bench. He scored the go-ahead basket in North Carolina's 75-70 victory over the University of Illinois in the 2005 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship game. Williams was recognized for his efforts when he was named as an Honorable Mention to the All-ACC team.
After completing one season with North Carolina, Williams declared himself eligible for the 2005 NBA Draft. The Atlanta Hawks selected him second overall, making him the first of four Tar Heels to be lottery picks in the 2005 Draft. After the season, Williams was named to the 2005–06 All-NBA Rookie Second Team.
On August 7, 2009, he re-signed with the Hawks on a reported five-year, $37.5 million deal.
- Points: 33 - at Seattle (1/25/08)
- Rebounds: 15 - at Dallas (12/5/09)
- Assists: 7 - at Detroit (1/12/07)
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
Williams, whose middle name is Gaye, said about his middle name: "I was named after my dad. My grandma named my dad after Marvin Gaye." Since beginning his professional basketball career, Williams took summer courses at UNC to complete his bachelor's degree in African-American studies, graduating from UNC in August 2014.
- Player Bio: Marvin Williams
- Marvin Williams Recruiting Profile
- Marvin Williams Stats
- May, Felton Named First-Team All-ACC
- Marvin Williams - 2005 NBA Draft - #2 Pick on YouTube
- Marvin Williams suspended for foul on Rajon Rondo
- Atlanta Hawks re-sign Marvin Williams
- "Jazz Acquires Forward Marvin Williams". NBA.com. July 11, 2012. Retrieved July 11, 2012.
- Hornets Sign Marvin Williams
- Report: Hornets agree to deal with Williams
- Lapointe, Joe (March 27, 2005). "Tar Heels' Sixth Man Has the Look of a First-Round Pick". New York Times. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
- Niss, Sarah (August 19, 2014). "Athletes given a new path to return through Complete Carolina". Daily Tar Heel. Retrieved December 17, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from NBA.com, or Basketball-Reference.com
- UNC bio
- Scout.com Profile