|Born||28 March 1990 (age 25)|
|Genres||Pop, Classical Crossover, Chinese Classical|
|Labels||Universal Music Group
Mary-Jess Leaverland (born 28 March 1990) is a British singer who won Min Xing Chang Fan Tian (or in English: I Want to Sing to the Stars), a provincial Chinese televised talent competition, in December 2009.
Leaverland first came to public attention after winning the Chinese singing contest Min Xing Chang Fan Tian (or in English: I Want to Sing to the Stars). After winning the contest, Leaverland still remained virtually unknown in the UK. The show was not broadcast outside Jiangsu Province, China, so her family and friends could not watch it and her family could not afford to fly over to watch her. When an interview she gave to a local Gloucester paper was picked up by the national press, the news spread, and Leaverland was offered several recording contracts and she signed a contract with Decca Records. She was signed to Decca from March 2010 to November 2011.
She stated in an interview with The Guardian “I was awful at French but Chinese caught my attention with all the different tones. Each word had its own tune.” The Music and Chinese Studies course at Sheffield University took Leaverland to Nanjing, and when she by chance came across auditions for the talent competition she, typically, wanted to get involved. “I really thought they would want a Chinese person to win. I couldn’t believe it when it was me.”
Leaverland has already begun writing for her second album and continues to write with debut collaborators Helen Boulding and Paul Carter. She has also contributed to the Downton Abbey soundtrack, by lending vocals to the song "Did I Make the Most of Loving You?".
Her song "Stand as One" is a background theme song for P&G – Proud Sponsor of Mums TV advert (2012).
|Title||Album details||Chart positions|
|"Are You The Way Home?"||2011||—||Shine|
|"Heaven Is Empty"||—|
- Decca Records | Mary-Jess
- "British student Mary Jess wins Chinese X-factor". BBC News. 22 January 2010. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- "British exchange student Mary-Jess Leaverland wins Chinese X Factor". Telegraph Online. 19 January 2010. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- Mary Jess X Factor China Guardian online, Sunday 20 June 2010
- Shine: Mary-Jess: Amazon.co.uk: Music
- "Gloucester singer selected for FA Cup final". BBC News. 5 May 2012. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- Chart Stats. – Mary-Jess – Shine
- iTunes – Music – Heaven Is Empty – Single by Mary-Jess