Mary Arden (judge)
She was born in Liverpool. Her grandfather was a partner in Gamon Arden and Co., a Liverpool firm of solicitors. Her father and brother, Roger, joined the family firm which merged with Hill Dickinson in 2007. She was brought up in south Liverpool and educated at Huyton College. She studied law at Girton College, Cambridge, and took an LLM degree at Harvard Law School in 1970 as a Kennedy Scholar. She married fellow barrister Jonathan Mance (now Lord Mance) in the Lady Chapel at Liverpool Cathedral in 1973. They have three children together - two daughters and a son.
She was called to the bar at Gray's Inn in 1971, and joined Lincoln's Inn in 1973. She practised at Erskine Chambers from 1971 to 1993, mainly in company law. She became a QC in 1986, and served as Attorney-General of the Duchy of Lancaster. She is an Honorary Fellow of Royal Holloway, University of London.
She was appointed to the High Court on 30 April 1993, becoming the first female High Court judge to be assigned to the Chancery Division just one year after Dame Ann Ebsworth became the first assigned to the Queen's Bench Division. As is customary, she was appointed a Dame Commander of the British Empire (DBE) at the same time. Her husband joined the Queen's Bench Division in October 1993, making them the first married couple to sit on the High Court bench. That feat has now been matched by Sir Peter Openshaw and Dame Caroline Swift. Arden was chairperson of the Law Commission from 1996 to 1999.
Her husband became a Lord Justice of Appeal in 1999. A year and a half later, on 2 October 2000, she was also appointed to the Court of Appeal, becoming only the third female judge to sit on the Court of Appeal, after Dame Elizabeth Butler-Sloss (now Baroness Butler-Sloss) in 1988 and Dame Brenda Hale (now Baroness Hale of Richmond) in 1999. She and her husband became the first (and, as of 2012, only) married couple both to sit on the Court of Appeal.
- Cooper v Attorney General  2 W.L.R. 448
- R. (on the application of S) v Secretary of State for the Home Office  EWCA Civ 142
- McCarthy v Secretary of State for the Home Department  3 C.M.L.R. 7
- Collier v P & MJ Wright (Holdings) Ltd  1 W.L.R. 643
- C (A Child) v XYZ CC  Fam. 54
- Citibank v MBIA  EWCA Civ 11
- Item Software (UK) Ltd v Fassihi and others  EWCA Civ 1244
- Pennington v Waine 1 WLR 2075
- Hutchinson Personal Communications Ltd v. Hook Advertising Ltd  FSR 365
- Price Meats v Barclays Bank  2 All ER (Comm) 346