|First appearance||The Godfather Part II|
|Last appearance||The Godfather Part III|
|Created by||Mario Puzo|
|Portrayed by||Sofia Coppola|
|Relatives||Michael Corleone (father)
Kay Adams-Corleone (mother)
Vito Corleone (grandfather)
Anthony Corleone (brother)
Sonny Corleone (uncle)
Fredo Corleone (uncle)
Vincent Mancini-Corleone (cousin and lover)
Connie Corleone (Aunt)
Mama Corleone (grandmother) Carlo Rizzi (uncle)
The Godfather Part II
Mary first appears in The Godfather Part II as the youngest child of Michael and Kay. She is a young child (aged about 4 or 5) in the late 1950s. Like Anthony, she doesn't have much of a role or story arc in the film.
The Godfather Part III
Mary is one of the pivotal characters of Godfather Part III, set in 1979-80. Her father's favorite, she is sheltered from the violent world of the Corleone crime family. Upon meeting, she falls in love with her cousin, Vincent Mancini, who is also Michael's protégé. While on a trip to Sicily, Michael tells Mary he disapproves of the romance, believing that Vincent's growing involvement in the "family business" will put her in danger.
Toward the end of the film, Michael names Vincent as his successor, on condition that he break off his relationship with Mary. After her brother's debut concert, the assassin Mosca tries to kill Michael. One bullet grazes Michael's shoulder, but the other accidentally hits Mary in the torso, killing her instantly. Michael is devastated by Mary's death, which happens as he is beginning to finally put his life as Don Corleone behind him and rekindle his estranged relationship with Kay. A broken man, he retires to Sicily, where he eventually dies of old age.
Behind the scenes
Sofia Coppola, the daughter of director Francis Ford Coppola, was given the role after the original choice, Winona Ryder, became sick. Her performance was panned by most movie critics and earned her two Razzies for Worst Supporting Actress and Worst New Star of 1990. In his review of the film in his Movie and Video Guide, critic Leonard Maltin calls the casting of Coppola an "almost fatal flaw."
Mary's aunt Connie Corleone is played by Talia Shire — Sofia Coppola's real-life aunt.
- Vito Corleone — Grandfather; played by Marlon Brando
- Santino 'Sonny' Corleone — Uncle; played by James Caan
- Constanzia 'Connie' Corleone-Rizzi — Aunt; played by Talia Shire
- Fredo Corleone — Uncle; played by John Cazale
- Michael Corleone — Father; played by Al Pacino
- Anthony Vito Corleone — Brother; played by Anthony Gounaris in Godfather I, played by James Gounaris in Godfather II, played by Franc D'Ambrosio in Godfather III
- Kay Adams — Mother; played by Diane Keaton
- Carmela Corleone — Grandmother; played by Morgana King
- Vincent Mancini-Corleone — First cousin; son of Sonny Corleone played by Andy García
- Frank Corleone — Cousin; son of Sonny Corleone
- Kathryn & Francesca Corleone — Cousins; Sonny's twin daughters
- Santino Corleone, Jr. — Cousin; son of Sonny Corleone