Mary Halvorson with Anti-House in Jazzclub Unterfahrt in Munich/Germany, January 2011
|Genres||Experimental music, avant-garde jazz, jazz|
|Associated acts||Trevor Dunn's Trio-Convulsant, Marc Ribot's Sun Ship|
Mary Halvorson is an avant-garde guitarist from Boston currently living in Brooklyn. She is a 2002 graduate of Wesleyan University. She has performed with many artists, including Anthony Braxton, Jessica Pavone, Taylor Ho Bynum and Trevor Dunn's Trio-Convulsant. As of 2008, she leads a trio including John Hebert and Ches Smith. She is also associated with violist Jessica Pavone, with whom she has recorded as a duo.
AllAboutJazz.com's Troy Collins calls Halvorson "[a] singular talent... Brooklyn-based guitarist Mary Halvorson has come into her own as a composer and improviser ... light years ahead of her peers, she is the most impressive guitarist of her generation. The future of jazz guitar starts here." Jon Garelick of The Phoenix writes, "It's that search for her own thing that's made Halvorson ... one of the most celebrated young guitarists in jazz, someone who has a unique sound both as a player and a composer."
CD and LP Recordings
- Six Improvisations For Guitar, Bass and Drums (2003), H&H Productions, as part of MAP
- Sister Phantom Owl Fish (2004), Ipecac Recordings, as part of Trevor Dunn's Trio-Convulsant with Ches Smith and Trevor Dunn
- Prairies (2005), Lucky Kitchen with Jessica Pavone
- People (2005), I & Ear, as part of People with drummer Kevin Shea
- Sleeps Cells (2006), Utech, as part of MPTHREE with Mike Pride and Trevor Dunn
- Misbegotten Man (2007), I & Ear, as part of People with Kevin Shea
- On and Off (2007), Skiri Records with Jessica Pavone on viola
- Opulence (2008), with composer/multi-instrumentalist Weasel Walter.
- Dragon's Head (2008), Firehouse 12 Records with Ches Smith and John Hebert (Mary Halvorson Trio)
- Calling All Portraits (2008), Phantom Sound & Vision label with drummer Ches Smith, Jessica Pavone & bassist Devin Hoff.
- Thin Air (2009), Thirst Ear label with Jessica Pavone.
- (un)sentimental (2009), Important Records, as part of The Thirteenth Assembly with Taylor Ho Bynum, Jessica Pavone and Tomas Fujiwara
- Crackleknob (2009), Hat Hut Records with trumpeter Nate Wooley and bassist Reuben Radding
- Fever Dream (2010), Taiga Records, as part of MAP with Tatsuya Nakatani and Reuben Radding
- Saturn Sings (2010), Firehouse 12 Records with Ches Smith, John Hebert, Jonathan Finlayson, and Jon Irabagon
- "Actionspeak" (2010), 482 Music, as part of Tomas Fujiwara & The Hook Up
- Bending Bridges (2012), Firehouse 12 Records
- Super Eight (2013), Intakt Records with Stephan Crump (Secret Keeper)
- Illusionary Sea (2013), Firehouse 12 Records with Jonathan Finlayson, Jon Irabagon, Ingrid Laubrock, Jacob Garchik, John Hebert, and Ches Smith
- Mary Halvorson, All About Jazz. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Clean Feed Records and Mary Halvorson: Promises of Good Things to Come in Jazz, Pop Matters. Jazz Today. By Will Layman. February 16, 2011. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Mary Halvorson, All About Jazz. By Troy Collins. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- A Sharpened Axe to Grind, Online Wall Street Journal. By Steve Dollar. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Mary Halvorson's EnchantedWood, The Boston Phoenix. By Jon Garelick. p. 1–2. May 31, 2012. Retrieved May 31, 2012.