Healy and Hayes, c. 1962.
April 14, 1918
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.
|Occupation||Stage, film, television actress|
|Spouse(s)||Peter Lind Hayes (m. 1940–98) (his death)|
|Children||Cathy Lind Hayes
Peter Michael Hayes
Mary Healy was born in New Orleans, Louisiana.
The former Miss New Orleans beauty pageant winner's first screen role was in Josetta, where she had a bit part. However in 1939, she had a major role as Jean Patrick in Second Fiddle. Healy made her stage debut in Count Me In, opposite Charles Butterworth and Jean Arthur.
Healy was married to fellow entertainer Peter Lind Hayes from 1940 until his death in 1998. With few exceptions — most notably her role as Mrs. Aouda in Orson Welles' 1946 Broadway production of Around the World in 80 Days, a role that she would later reprise for the The Mercury Summer Theatre on the Air radio adaptation of the musical play — she and her husband worked together exclusively.
Among their joint ventures were several television series, The Peter Lind Hayes Show in 1950, The Star of the Family in 1950–1952, the 1953 cult fantasy film The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T, the 1958 Broadway comedy Who Was That Lady I Saw You With? and the 1960 NBC situation comedy Peter Loves Mary, in which they portrayed a show business couple with two children who attempt to adjust to the culture shock of a move from New York City to the suburbs.
In addition, the couple were regular substitute hosts on Arthur Godfrey's television programs and were frequent guest panelists on What's My Line? In 1960, they co-starred in their radio show The Peter Lind-Mary Healy Show.
- Second Fiddle (1939)
- Star Dust (1940)
- He Married His Wife (1940)
- Zis Boom Bah (1941, with Peter Lind Hayes and his mother Grace Hayes)
- Strictly in the Groove (1942)
- The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T (1953, with Peter Lind Hayes)
- ""Around the World in Eighty Days", 1946 Mercury Summer Theatre". Internet Archive. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- http://www.answers.com/topic/mary-healy Listing from Answers.com
- http://www.ibdb.com/production.php?id=2679 Listing from Internet Broadway Database
- http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/peter-loves-mary/203746 Listing from TVGuide.com
- "The Dinah Shore Show Radio Log". The Digital Deli. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- http://archive.is/20130125212336/http://www.hollywood.com/celebrity/Peter_Lind_Hayes/191418 Listing from Hollywood.com
- http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/participant.jsp?spid=83374&apid=124468 Listing from TCM.com
- http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0370935/ Listing from Internet Movie Database
- Appearance On What's My Line 8/13/61
- Mary Healy at the Internet Broadway Database
- Mary Healy at the Internet Movie Database