Mary Lou Graham
|Mary Lou Graham|
|All-American Girls Professional Baseball League|
|Batgirl / Relief pitcher|
August 15, 1936 |
South Bend, Indiana
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|Career highlights and awards|
Mary Lou Graham [Hamilton] (born August 15, 1936) is a former batgirl and relief pitcher who played in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League. Listed at 5 ft 7 in (1.70 m), 149 lb, she batted and threw right-handed.
Born in South Bend, Indiana, Mary Lou Graham attended John Adams High School. In her spare time, she played baseball, basketball and volleyball in local leagues, going through the ups and downs while supporting her beloved South Bend Blue Sox.
Then a dream came true when she joined the Blue Sox as their bat girl in the 1952 season. And to complete her satisfaction, second place South Bend swept fourth place Grand Rapids Chicks in the best-of-three first round, and later claimed the championship title over the Rockford Peaches, 3 to 2 games.
Graham was invited to a try out in South Bend the next year. She attended and was selected as a pitcher for the Blue Sox. Coming out of the bullpen, she hurled eight innings of relief over six games and was not credited with a decision.
After baseball, she got an employment at Bendix Corporation, where she played for the company's bowling team. Besides this, she played semiprofessional softball and basketball from 1955 to 1957 and later became an avid golfer.
″Lou Lou″, as her teammmates called her, is part of Women in Baseball, a permanent display based at the Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown, New York and unveiled in 1988 to honor the entire All-American Girls Professional Baseball League.
- "All-American Girls Professional Baseball League official website – profile".
- John Adams High School website
- Leslie A. Heaphy; Mel Anthony May (July 2006). Encyclopedia of women and baseball. McFarland & Co Inc Pub. ISBN 978-0-7864-2100-8.
- 1952 South Bend Blue Sox
- All-American Girls Professional Baseball League Record Book – W. C. Madden. Publisher: McFarland & Company, 2000. Format: Hardcover, 294pp. Language: English. ISBN 0-7864-0597-x
- 1953 South Bend Blue Sox
- Encyclopedia of Women and Baseball
- The Diamond Angle – Interview with Mary Lou Graham