|Dame Mary Lesley Perkins|
14 February 1944 |
Bristol, England, UK
|Known for||Founder of Specsavers|
|Net worth||£1.15 billion according to BBC (2011)|
|Title||Dame Mary Perkins|
She attended Fairfield Grammar School in Bristol. She then went to Cardiff University to train as an optometrist. At Cardiff, she met Doug Perkins, whom she would later marry. The couple established their first business in Bristol in the 1960s. This was a chain of opticians around Bristol, which they sold for £2 million in 1980, and continue to receive income from. After the sale the couple moved to Guernsey, where Mary's father had retired.
Mary and Doug Perkins established Specsavers in Guernsey in 1984. In 2007 it was the largest privately owned opticians in the world, with nearly 900 stores across the UK and Europe. By 2011 the company had an annual turnover of £1.5bn and over 30,000 staff in markets in the UK, Europe and Australasia.
Her current title at Specsavers is "founder". Dame Mary sits on the company board, oversees business development and has particular responsibility for running PR. She has admitted donning disguises and visiting Specsavers stores, posing as a customer.
Awards and honours
Perkins was made an honorary fellow of Cardiff University in 2005. The same year she received the Rotary International Community and Vocational Service Award for her services to charity and in 2006 won the inaugural Spirit of everywoman Award. Perkins was the first female optician in the UK to receive the title of Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) in 2007.
After receiving the accolade she commented:
I am absolutely thrilled, as you can imagine. This is a huge honour, not just for me but for everyone at Specsavers, as we all work as a team to give our customers what they want – quality, value for money professional eyecare. This makes me even more determined to passionately pursue the path we set ourselves 25 years ago and to continue to serve the British public.
The accolade was also in recognition of her other charitable work, including the Guernsey annual "Specsavers Liberation Tea Dance for pensioners", and her directorship of Women's Refuge and Age Concern. She was awarded the Spirit of Everywoman Award in 2006. She is also a patron to leading children's charity Kidscape
- "Rich list suggests UK richest seeing funds recovering". BBC News. 7 May 2011.
- "Dame Mary Perkins, DBE". Debrett's People of Today. Retrieved 8 May 2011.
- "The Andrew Davidson Interview: Specsavers founder in the frame". The Times. 10 July 2005. Retrieved 18 November 2007.
- "Dame Mary Perkins thrilled by honour". Optician online. 22 June 2007. Retrieved 18 November 2007.
- Growing Business Entrepreneur Profiles - Specsavers' Dame Mary Perkins 25 May 2012
- "Specsavers tycoon becomes a Dame". BBC. 16 June 2007. Retrieved 18 November 2007.
- Little, Jenny (11 December 2006). "Roaring back at the dragons". This is Money. Retrieved 8 May 2011.
- Kidscape website
- BBC Radio 4, Woman's Hour Power list