Mary Stuart, Countess of Bute
|The Right Honourable
The Countess of Bute
Mary, Countess of Bute, in 1780
|Born||Mary Wortley Montagu
19 January 1718
|Died||6 November 1794(aged 76)|
|Spouse(s)||John Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute|
Mary Stuart, Countess of Bute, 1st Baroness Mount Stuart (19 January 1718 – 6 November 1794) was the wife of John Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute, who was Prime Minister of Great Britain between 1762 and 1763.
Life and family
- Lady Mary Stuart (c. 1741 – 5 April 1824), married James Lowther, later created Earl of Lonsdale, on 7 September 1761
- John Stuart, Lord Mount Stuart (30 June 1744 – 16 November 1814), politician who succeeded as 4th Earl of Bute and was later created Marquess of Bute
- Lady Anne Stuart (born c. 1745), married Hugh Percy, Lord Warkworth, later the 2nd Duke of Northumberland, on 2 July 1764
- The Hon. James Archibald Stuart (19 September 1747 – 1 March 1818), politician and author
- Lady Jane Stuart (c. 1748 – 28 February 1828), married George Macartney, later created Earl Macartney, on 1 February 1768.
- The Hon. Frederick Stuart (1751–1802), politician
- The Hon. Charles Stuart (January 1753 – 25 May 1801), soldier and politician
- The Hon. William Stuart (March 1755 – 6 March 1822), Anglican prelate who served as Archbishop of Armagh
- Lady Caroline Stuart (before 1763 – 20 January 1813), married The Hon. John Dawson, later the 1st Earl of Portarlington, on 1 January 1778.
- Lady Louisa Stuart (12 August 1757 – 4 August 1851), writer who died unmarried
In 1774, Mary Delany wrote to her friend Bernard Granville, Jacobite Duke of Albemarle, saying: "You know so much of Lady Bute that I need say nothing of her agreeableness, her good sense, and good principles, which with great civility must be always pleasing."
Writing for the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Karl Wolfgang Schweizer said that: "Lady Bute seems to have been a woman of prudence, loyalty, and tact, greatly devoted to her husband and family."
- Miss Mary Wortley Montagu (1718–1736)
- The Rt. Hon. The Countess of Bute (1736–1792)
- The Rt. Hon. The Dowager Countess of Bute (1792–1794)
- Schweizer, Karl Wolfgang (October 2009) . "Stuart, John, third earl of Bute (1713–1792)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/26716. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Miller, Karl (January 2006) . "Stuart, Lady Louisa (1757–1851)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/42015. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- The London Gazette: . 31 March 1761.
- Carrell, Jennifer Lee (2004). The Speckled Monster. Penguin Group. ISBN 978-1-4406-2335-6. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- Delany, Mary (1861). Autobiography and Correspondence of Mrs Delany V. p. 36.
The Duchess of Newcastle
|Spouse of the British Prime Minister
|Peerage of Great Britain|
|New creation||Baroness Mount Stuart