Mary Was the Marrying Kind
|"Mary Was the Marrying Kind"|
|Single by Kip Moore|
|from the album Up All Night|
|Released||March 14, 2011|
|Kip Moore singles chronology|
"Mary Was the Marrying Kind" is a song recorded by American country music singer Kip Moore, co-written by Dan Couch and Scott Stepakoff. The song, which was released as Moore's debut single in March 2011, was the fourth most added country single at the time of its release and peaked at number 45 on Hot Country Songs. The song did not make the final cut of Moore's debut album Up All Night, although it was included as a bonus track on the deluxe edition.
The song talks about women that Moore has dated and the reasons that the women were wrong for him. He then goes on to talk about Mary, a woman that Moore hadn’t seen in about over five years since leaving high school. Moore described Mary as the tall, shy, meek, sweet, nice woman that no one paid any attention to until she grew comfortable with herself and guys took notice. Moore happened to run into her at a party, stating that she was "gorgeous, funny, charming and witty". Moore goes on to state that the song describes "[missing] out on something special because you weren’t paying attention".
While Karlie Justus of The 9513 praised the lyrics of the song, Justus criticized the "heavy-handed production" involved. She described the song as an "adventurous first go at country radio that demands attention, both for its string of intertwined stories and for Moore’s insistent delivery [that] paints vivid pictures with unique details about a believable range of women, before honing [sic] in on the one that got away". Justus also said that "the range present in the lyrics is missing from Moore’s performance" and "he blows out every corner of the song’s chorus with an intensity that, when coupled with its heavy-handed production, feels sloppy and reaching compared to its effortless, stream-of-consciousness verses." Kyle Ward of Roughstock gave it 4.5 stars out of 5, saying that "Moore gives an impassioned vocal performance, particularly on the chorus. It’s a tad overproduced, but by 2011 standards is far from gluttonous."
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||45|
- "Kip Moore, ‘Mary Was the Marrying Kind’ – Lyrics Uncovered". Tasteofcountry.com. 2011-08-05. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Biography | Kip Moore | Artist Info | Music | 93.1 FM The One". Onefm.ca. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Kip Moore - Up All Night". Countrystandardtime.com. 2007-10-23. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Kip Moore: Mary Was the Marrying Kind • Relate Magazine". Relatemag.com. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Kip Moore – “Mary Was the Marrying Kind”". The 9513. 2011-04-08. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Kip Moore - "Mary Was The Marrying Kind" | New Country Music, Listen to Songs & Video". Roughstock.com. 2011-04-04. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Kip Moore Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Kip Moore.