Maryland Route 302
Maryland Route 302 highlighted in red
|Maintained by MDSHA|
|Length:||10.21 mi (16.43 km)|
|Existed:||1927 – present|
|West end:||US 301 near Barclay|
|MD 454 in Templeville|
|East end:||DE 11 at the Delaware state line near Templeville|
|Counties:||Queen Anne's, Caroline|
Maryland Route 302 (MD 302) is a state highway in the U.S. state of Maryland. Known for most of its length as Barclay Road, the state highway runs 10.21 miles (16.43 km) from U.S. Route 301 (US 301) near Barclay east to the Delaware state line near Templeville, where the highway continues east as Delaware Route 11 (DE 11). MD 302 follows the Queen Anne's–Caroline county line for part of its length near Templeville. The county line road is considered to be in Caroline County for maintenance purposes. MD 302 was first paved in Barclay in the early 1920s and from Templeville to the state line in the late 1920s. The gap between Barclay and Templeville was filled in the late 1930s. MD 302 was extended west toward Church Hill in the late 1940s and to US 301 in the mid-1960s.
MD 302 begins at an intersection with US 301 (Blue Star Memorial Highway) about midway between Church Hill and Barclay. Hall Road continues west as a county highway toward Church Hill. MD 302 heads east as two-lane Barclay Road through farmland. The state highway crosses Red Lion Branch just before entering the town of Barclay, where the highway's name changes to Church Street. MD 302 crosses the Centreville Branch of the Northern Line of the Maryland and Delaware Railroad and intersects MD 313 (Goldsboro Road). The state highway becomes Barclay Road again upon leaving the town limits and passes through a mix of farmland and forest. The state highway runs atop the Queen Anne's–Caroline county line starting just before the intersection with Woodyard Road. MD 302 passes through the town of Templeville, where the highway intersects MD 454 (Crown Stone Road). East of the town, shortly after crossing Beaver Dam Ditch, MD 302 reaches its eastern terminus at the Delaware state line. The highway continues east as DE 11 (Arthursville Road) toward Hartly.
The first section of MD 302 was about 1 mile (1.6 km) east from MD 313 in Barclay paved in 1923. A second, unconnected section was completed between Templeville and the Delaware state line in 1930. The gap between Barclay and Templeville was filled in 1939. MD 302 was extended west about 2 miles (3.2 km) toward Church Hill in 1949. The state highway reached its present length when it was extended to US 301 in 1966.
MD 302 follows the Queen Anne's–Caroline county line from just west of Woodyard Road near Templeville to the Delaware state line. The county line portion is considered to be in Caroline County for maintenance purposes.
|Queen Anne's||0.00||0.00||US 301 (Blue Star Memorial Highway) / Hall Road west – Bay Bridge, Wilmington, DE|
|Barclay||3.48||5.60||MD 313 (Goldsboro Road) – Sudlersville, Goldsboro|
|Caroline||Templeville||9.10||14.65||MD 454 south (Crown Stone Road) – Marydel, Dover|
|10.21||16.43||DE 11 north (Arthursville Road) – Hartly||Delaware state line|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Highway Information Services Division (December 31, 2013). Highway Location Reference. Maryland State Highway Administration. Retrieved February 9, 2013.
- "Roads Maintained by District 2 - Caroline County". Maryland State Highway Administration. Retrieved 2010-09-28.
- Google Inc. "Maryland Route 302". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=MD-302+E%2FBarclay+Rd&daddr=MD-302+E%2FBarclay+Rd&geocode=Faw9VQIdZHd5-w%3BFZhHVQIdeC58-w&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=39.141628,-75.747793&sspn=0.007639,0.01929&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=12. Retrieved 2010-09-28.
- Maryland Geological Survey. Map of Maryland: Showing State Road System and State Aid Roads (Map) (1923 ed.).
- Uhl, G. Clinton; Bruce, Howard; Shaw, John K. (October 1, 1930). "Report of the State Roads Commission of Maryland" (1927–1930 ed.). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. pp. 224–225. Retrieved 2010-09-28.
- Maryland Geological Survey. Map of Maryland Showing State Road System: State Aid Roads and Improved County Road Connections (Map) (1930 ed.).
- Maryland State Roads Commission. General Highway Map: State of Maryland (Map) (1939 ed.).
- Whitman, Ezra B.; Webb, P. Watson; Thomas, W. Frank (March 15, 1941). "Report of the State Roads Commission of Maryland" (1939–1940 ed.). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. p. 91. Retrieved 2010-09-28.
- Reindollar, Robert M.; George, Joseph M.; McCain, Russell H. (February 15, 1949). "Report of the State Roads Commission of Maryland" (1947–1948 ed.). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. p. 106. Retrieved 2010-09-28.
- Maryland State Roads Commission. Maryland: Official Highway Map (Map) (1949 ed.).
- Maryland State Roads Commission. Maryland: Official Highway Map (Map) (1966 ed.).