Maryland Route 494 (MD 494) is a state highway in the U.S. state of Maryland. Known as Fairview Road, the state highway runs 6.82 miles (10.98 km) from the Pennsylvania state line near Fairview, where the highway continues north as Pennsylvania Route 75 (PA 75), east to MD 63 in Cearfoss. MD 494 was constructed in the 1930s. The state highway originally ended at MD 57, but was extended to the state line in the early 1960s.
Route description 
MD 494 begins at the Pennsylvania state line near Fairview. The highway continues north across the state line as PA 75 (Fort Loudon Road) toward Mercersburg. MD 494 heads southeast as a two-lane highway toward an intersection with MD 57 (St. Paul Road). From there, the state highway heads east through farmland and scattered residences, passing through the hamlet of Fairview. MD 494 intersects Rockdale Road, which leads to the Joseph Fiery House, before crossing Conococheague Creek. MD 494 crosses Toms Run and passes Broadfording Church Road before reaching its eastern terminus at MD 63 (Greencastle Pike) in Cearfoss. This intersection is 0.03 miles (0.048 km) south of the Cearfoss Roundabout where MD 63 meets MD 58 (Cearfoss Pike).
MD 494 was paved from the Pennsylvania state line east to Toms Run, including the bridge over Conococheague Creek, by 1933. Another segment from Cearfoss to Broadfording Church Road was completed in 1935. The gap was filled when construction was completed west of Cearfoss in 1939. The segment of MD 494 from MD 57 to the state line was originally part of MD 57. MD 57 was removed from the run to the state line in favor of MD 494 in 1963.
Junction list 
The entire route is in Washington County.
See also 
- ^ a b c Highway Information Services Division (2011). Highway Location Reference. Maryland State Highway Administration. Retrieved 2010-11-12.
- ^ Google Inc. Google Maps – Maryland Route 494 (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=MD-494+E%2FFairview+Rd&daddr=MD-63+N%2FGreencastle+Pike&hl=en&geocode=FYgcXgIdvHlb-w%3BFZTFXQIdBDpd-w&mra=ls&sll=39.71099,-77.83376&sspn=0.060613,0.154324&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=13. Retrieved 2010-11-12.
- ^ Maryland Geological Survey. Map of Maryland Showing State Road System: State Aid Roads and Improved County Road Connections (Map) (1933 ed.).
- ^ a b Byron, William D.; Lacy, Robert (December 28, 1934). Report of the State Roads Commission of Maryland (1931–1934 ed.). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. pp. 338–339. Retrieved 2010-11-12.
- ^ Maryland Geological Survey. Map of Maryland Showing State Road System: State Aid Roads and Improved County Road Connections (Map) (1935 ed.).
- ^ a b Maryland State Roads Commission. General Highway Map: State of Maryland (Map) (1939 ed.).
- ^ Whitman, Ezra B.; Webb, P. Watson; Thomas, W. Frank (March 15, 1941). Report of the State Roads Commission of Maryland (1939–1940 ed.). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. p. 120. Retrieved 2010-11-12.
- ^ Maryland State Roads Commission. Maryland: Official Highway Map (Map) (1963 ed.).
External links 
Route map: Google / Bing