Maryland Route 506
|Maintained by MDSHA|
|Length:||3.79 mi (6.10 km)|
|Existed:||1933 – present|
|West end:||MD 508 at Bowens|
|East end:||MD 2 / MD 4 near Port Republic|
Maryland Route 506 (MD 506) is a state highway in the U.S. state of Maryland. Known as Sixes Road, the state highway runs 3.79 miles (6.10 km) from MD 508 in Bowens east to MD 2 and MD 4 near Port Republic. MD 506 provides access to Battle Creek Cypress Swamp. The state highway was constructed from MD 2 to the swamp in the early 1930s and extended to Bowens in the late 1950s.
MD 506 begins at a four-way intersection in Bowens. Adelina Road heads north as MD 508 toward Barstow and south as a county highway toward Adelina. Sixes Road continues west as a county highway toward the Patuxent River. MD 506 heads east as a two-lane road that passes through a forested area with scattered residences. The state highway crosses Battle Creek, which flows through the Battle Creek Cypress Swamp Sanctuary. The sanctuary is a National Natural Landmark maintained by The Nature Conservancy that contains the only stands of bald cypress on the Western Shore of Maryland. The sanctuary visitor center is located on Grays Road, which intersects MD 506 just east of Battle Creek. From the swamp, MD 506 veers northeast toward its eastern terminus at MD 2 and MD 4, which run concurrently as Solomons Island Road, near Port Republic.
The entire route is in Calvert County.
|Bowens||0.00||0.00||MD 508 north (Adelina Road) / Adelina Road south / Sixes Road west – Adelina, Barstow||Western terminus; southern terminus of MD 508|
|Port Republic||3.79||6.10||MD 2 / MD 4 (Solomons Island Road) – Prince Frederick, Solomons||Eastern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Highway Information Services Division (December 31, 2013). Highway Location Reference. Maryland State Highway Administration. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- Calvert County (PDF)
- "Battle Creek Cypress Swamp". The Nature Conservancy. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- Google, Inc. "Maryland Route 506". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=MD-506+E%2FSixes+Rd&daddr=MD-506+E%2FSixes+Rd&hl=en&geocode=FWhjSwIdwNVu-w%3BFRieSwIdqLhv-w&mra=ls&sll=38.508466,-76.565652&sspn=0.00759,0.01929&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- Maryland Geological Survey. Map of Maryland Showing State Road System: State Aid Roads and Improved County Road Connections (Map) (1933 ed.).
- Maryland State Roads Commission. Maryland: Official Highway Map (Map) (1957 ed.).