Maryland Route 79
Maryland Route 79 highlighted in red
|Maintained by MDSHA|
|Length:||1.81 mi (2.91 km)|
|West end:||MD 17 / MD 464 in Rosemont|
|East end:||MD 180 in Petersville|
Maryland Route 79 (MD 79) is a state highway in the U.S. state of Maryland. Known as Petersville Road, the state highway runs 1.81 miles (2.91 km) from MD 17 and MD 464 in Rosemont north to MD 180 in Petersville. MD 79 and the adjacent portion of MD 17 south to Brunswick were constructed in 1916. The state highway reached its present extent in 1968.
MD 79 begins at a four-way intersection on the boundary between the town of Brunswick to the south and the village of Rosemont to the north. Petersville Road continues south as MD 17 into Brunswick; MD 17 also heads west along Burkittsville Road. The eastern leg of the intersection is MD 464 (Souder Road). MD 79 heads northeast as a two-lane road through a residential area where the highway meets the eastern end of Rosemont Drive, which is unsigned MD 871G. The state highway leaves Rosemont as it crosses Little Catoctin Creek. MD 79 continues through farmland, making a sharp curve to the north before reaching its northern terminus at MD 180 (Jefferson Pike) in Petersville.
Petersville Road was constructed as a 14-foot (4.3 m) wide macadam-surfaced highway from Jefferson Pike (designated U.S. Route 340 and later MD 180) south to Brunswick in 1916. When state highways were first numbered in Maryland in 1927, the portion of Petersville Road south of what is now Rosemont Drive became MD 33; MD 33 became MD 17 in 1940. Petersville Road from Rosemont north to Petersville was later marked as MD 79. MD 79's modern bridge over Little Catoctin Creek was built in 1941 after the previous bridge was carried away by a flood that year. MD 79 was extended south to its current southern terminus in 1968 when MD 17 was relocated to its present course through Rosemont and MD 464 was extended west along Souder Road to its present terminus to form the fourth leg of that intersection.
The entire route is in Frederick County.
|Rosemont||0.00||0.00||MD 17 (Burkittsville Road/Petersville Road) / MD 464 east (Souder Road) – Brunswick, Burkittsville, Point of Rocks||Southern terminus|
|0.24||0.39||MD 871 west (Rosemont Drive)||Officially MD 871G|
|Petersville||1.81||2.91||MD 180 (Jefferson Pike) – Knoxville, Jefferson||Northern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Highway Information Services Division (2011). Highway Location Reference. Maryland State Highway Administration. Retrieved 2011-03-26.
- Frederick County (PDF)
- Google Inc. Google Maps – Maryland Route 79 (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Petersville+Rd&daddr=MD-79+E%2FPetersville+Rd&hl=en&geocode=FVoUWAIdJolf-w%3BFdphWAId1r9f-w&mra=ls&sll=39.33673,-77.616525&sspn=0.029939,0.077162&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14. Retrieved 2011-03-26.
- Zouck, Frank H.; Uhl, G. Clinton; Mudd, John F. (January 1920). Annual Reports of the State Roads Commission of Maryland (1916–1919 ed.). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. p. 21. Retrieved 2011-03-27.
- Maryland Geological Survey. Map of Maryland: Showing State Road System and State Aid Roads (Map) (1927 ed.).
- Maryland State Roads Commission. Map of Maryland Showing Highways and Points of Interest (Map) (1940 ed.).
- Maryland State Roads Commission. General Highway Map: State of Maryland (Map) (1939 ed.).
- Whitman, Ezra B.; Webb, P. Watson; Thomas, W. Frank (March 15, 1943). Report of the State Roads Commission of Maryland (1941–1942 ed.). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. p. 102. Retrieved 2011-03-27.
- Maryland State Roads Commission. Maryland: Official Highway Map (Map) (1968 ed.).