Maryvale High School (Cheektowaga, New York)
|Maryvale High School|
|1050 Maryvale Drive, Cheektowaga, New York 14225
Cheektowaga, New York
|School district||Cheektowaga Union Free High School District|
|NCES School ID||361860001678|
|Principal||Currently vacant for the remainder of the 2013-2014 school year|
|Color(s)||Maroon and White|
|Website||Maryvale High School|
Maryvale's sports teams are known as the Flyers. Their main rivals are Cheektowaga Central (Central) and Depew High Schools. Their longest standing rival has been cross town Cleveland Hill High School which is the closest geographically to Maryvale's main campus. Maryvale's first widely known mascot was the Peanuts character Snoopy, depicted in his World War I goggles and pilot's hat flying after the Red Baron. Maryvale was established in the late 1940s after World War Two. Due to its proximity to Buffalo Niagara International Airport (BUF/KBUF) and industries such as Bell Aerospace, Curtis Wright (P-40) and Calspan, Maryvale adopted its title as the Flyers. With the creation of Snoopy in 1950, Maryvale eventually adopted the most worldwide recognized pilot of the time as its mascot. Due to trademark usage/infringement issues (Peanuts Worldwide LLC), Maryvale's mascot has been changed to Pegasus.
Maryvale has had many championship seasons throughout its history. From the beginning through the 1960s, 1970’s, Maryvale was a powerhouse of champions in all sports. Maryvale consistently sent athletes on to college and universities with partial and sometimes full scholarships. Maryvale graduates have successful careers in business, government, the military and private sectors. The Maryvale boys’ basketball team won a section championship during the '05-'06 season and once again during the '06-'07 season against Depew. Their boys’ soccer team also won a section title in 2010, defeating large school Sweet Home in a shootout.
- Andrew Anderson - NBA player
- Bob Charles Beers - Former NHL defenseman, current radio analyst for the Boston Bruins
- William Fichtner - Actor, as seen in The Dark Knight, Prison Break, he also had a main cast role in Armageddon and appeared in The Longest Yard.
- Kylie Johnson - Miss Playboy February 2011
- Captain John Kunert- USN Ret - John Kunert, 1975 graduate of Maryvale graduated from the United States Naval Academy (USNA) 1979 - USNWC - Commander USS Kauffman (FFG-59), an Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate.
- Dale McDonnell: Minor League Baseball pitcher with Pawtucket Red Sox.
- Ronald Nero - NCAA Coach - Ret- Ronald Nero, 1975 graduate of Maryvale Nero was one of Maryvale’s most dominant athletes in the 1970s, and after a successful career at the University at Buffalo, one of the area’s most highly respected coaches. Nero played four years of football for the Flyers, with his tall, rangy physique and aggressive attitude making him an ideal defensive back. Nero picked up Division I All-Star honors at that position as a senior.
- Chelsea Noble: Actress, wife of Kirk Cameron.
- Pat Occhiuto- Pat Occhiuto, 1975 graduate of Maryvale is a retired Italian-American soccer forward who played professionally in the American Soccer League, United Soccer League, Major Indoor Soccer League and National Professional Soccer League.
- Timothy Ring - CEO of CR Bard (BCR)- Tim Ring, 1975 graduate of Maryvale graduated from Cornell University in 1979, with a B.S. degree in Industrial and Labor Relations. Ring was named Chairman and Chief Executive Officer for C.R. Bard, Inc. as of August 8, 2003
- Patrick Weisansal II- Patrick Weisansal II, 2010 graduate of Maryvale graduated from Trocaire College in 2012, with a degree in radiology. Weisansal was elected onto the Maryvale Board of Education as the youngest community member to ever be elected at the age of 18. He was a senior at the time of election and is the only student to ever be elected to the Maryvale Board of Education. Weisansal also served as the youngest Board of Education president to ever serve Maryvale at the age of 21 in 2013 and 2014.
- Frank E. Bork III, 1969 graduate of Maryvale. CEO, President, and founder of Upstate Auto Group in Attica NY. Bork owns several auto dealerships including Upstate Chevrolet, Upstate Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep, Upstate Resale Center, and Toyota of Batavia.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Maryvale High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved July 29, 2012.
- "Maryvale High School website".