|30th Governor of the Bank of Japan|
April 9, 2008 – March 19, 2013
|Prime Minister||Yasuo Fukuda
|Preceded by||Toshihiko Fukui|
|Succeeded by||Haruhiko Kuroda|
|Deputy Governor of the Bank of Japan|
March 20, 2008 – April 9, 2008
|Prime Minister||Yasuo Fukuda|
|Preceded by||Toshirō Mutō
|Succeeded by||Kiyohiko Nishimura|
|Born||27 September 1949|
|Alma mater||University of Tokyo
University of Chicago
Masaaki Shirakawa (白川 方明 Shirakawa Masaaki?, born September 27, 1949) is a Japanese economist, central banker and the 30th Governor of the Bank of Japan (BOJ), and professor of Aoyama Gakuin University. He is also a Director and Vice-Chairman of the Bank for International Settlements (BIS).
Shirakawa joined the Bank of Japan in 1972. His varied assignments at the bank included a period as General Manager at the Ōita branch. For a time, he was General Manager for the Americas at the bank's office in New York.
His nomination to be Governor of the Bank was approved on April 9, 2008. Masaaki ranks 6th on the world's most powerful by Newsweek along with economic triumvirs Ben Bernanke (4th) and Jean-Claude Trichet (5th).
Shirakawa's mandate is "to respond to changes in circumstances in a flexible and timely manner" in a way which can contribute to the sustainable growth and development of Japan. In other words, this means that the role of the head of the BOJ is to effect price stability in Japan and to ensure stability of the financial system.
- The Monetary Approach to the Balance of Payments and the Exchange Rate: an Empirical Study of Japan's Case (1980)
- 図說日本銀行 (1993)
- Financial Market Globalization: Present and Future (1997)
- The Asset Price Bubble and Monetary Policy: Japan's Experience in the Late 1980s and the Lessons (2000)
- "One Year Under 'Quantitative Easing' " (2002)
- Japan's Deflation, Problems in the Financial System and Monetary Policy (2005)
- De-leveraging and Growth: Is the Developed World Following Japan's Long and Winding Road? (2012)
- This article incorporates information from the revision as of 2008-04-08 of the equivalent article on the Japanese Wikipedia.
- Bank for International Settlements (BIS), "BIS Board Appoints Masaaki Shirakawa as Vice-Chairman," 11 January 2011.
- Bank of Japan (BOJ), List of Governors
- BOJ, 30th Governor
- Samuelson, Robert J. (December 20, 2008), "Economic Triumvirate", Newsweek
- Nihon Ginkō. (2009). Annual review, p. 7.
- WorldCat Identities: Shirakawa, Masaaki
- Deputy Governor Bank of Japan retrieved April 8, 2008
- Highlights 4-Remarks by BOJ nominees Shirakawa and Watanabe Reuters retrieved April 8, 2008
- 白川・渡辺両氏から所信聴取 NHK retrieved April 8, 2008
- 小沢氏に振り回される福田首相 日銀人事めぐり (1/2ページ) - MSN産経ニュース MSN Sankei News retrieved April 8, 2008
- 白川日銀総裁の同意決定へ＝民主 | 時事ドットコム Jiji Press retrieved April 8, 2008
- (webcast only) The Way out of Economic and Financial Crisis: Lessons and Actions Masaaki Shirakawa addresses the current global economic crisis and offer lessons from Japan’s recent experience.
|Governor of the Bank of Japan