Masaba Gupta in 2012
|Born||1989 (age 24–25)|
|Occupation||Fashion designer/ Fashion Director of Satya Paul|
Masaba Gupta (born 1989) is an Indian fashion designer. Since July 2009, she sells designer merchandise using label 'Masaba'. She has been the youngest designer to unveil at Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week 2010.
Early life and background
Born in 1989, to West Indian cricketer Viv Richards and Indian actress Neena Gupta, Gupta grew up in Mumbai. At the age of 8, she thought of being a tennis player but she dropped it after the age of 16. She was passionate about dance and music. She wanted to join Shiamak Davar's dance group after learning dance from him, but her mother suggested against it. Then she took up a course in music in London. She did not complete the course and returned to India.
Later she joined Shreemati Nathibai Damodar Thackersey Women's University where she learned fashion design from her mentor Wendell Rodricks and ended up winning three awards for her collection at her college graduation show.
DNA said her work has "a unique Indianness in a very modern context", citing her "Tamil script sarees and jackets" and the way she uses of cotton and muslin.
- "Masaba Gupta". Filmy Folks. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "Tennis : Sania is an icon for Indian sport: Masaba". The Hindu. Feb 24, 2005. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "You have to learn from your mistakes: Masaba Gupta on Neena Gupta". FirstPost. 24 December 2012. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- "Take your chances like you take your vitamins: Masaba Gupta". India Today. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "Masaba Gupta". Bharat Textile. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "My stint with Satya Paul an eye-opener: Masaba Gupta". India Today. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "What's your style: Fashion designer Masaba Gupta". dna. Retrieved 7 October 2013.