|Type of site||political|
|Alexa rank||10,748,304 (April 2014[update])|
Masada2000 is a California-based website created and maintained by people from the United States, Israel, Brazil, and Switzerland. It has been described as "extreme pro-Israel, anti-Palestinian" and "radical-Zionist". The site supports and often quotes the views of Meir Kahane, although it has denied being Kahanist. Before 2001 the site was called Zion2000.
The site is named after the Masada fortress in Israel, where, during Jewish Revolt against the Roman Empire, a group known as the Sicarii fought the Romans and committed mass suicide rather than surrender. According to its founders, it was established to counter "professional and deadly serious" websites with anti-Israel views. They also have said that the site will "expose Jews who genuinely despise Israel and the Jewishness it represents" and "'progressive' Jews who are into 'social justice' causes for everyone EXCEPT Israel's Jewish population."
Masada2000 is well-known for its criticism of Jews it considers "self-hating." Among those singled out are Rabbi Michael Lerner, linguist Noam Chomsky, journalist Amira Hass, politician Dedi Zucker, professor Israel Shahak, and filmmaker Woody Allen.
The site is also notorious for its "Self-Hating and/or Israel-Threatening" LIST, known as the "S.H.I.T. List." (From time to time, the S.H.I.T. List has been renamed. For a while it was the "Dense anti-Israel Repugnant Traitors" LIST, or "D.I.R.T. List." Then it became the "Self-Hating and/or Intentionally Israel-Threatening Ediots LIST" or "S.H.I.I.T.E. List.") More than 7,000 names long, the list consists of Jews whose opinions fall to the left of those of Masada2000's creators. The site described its targets as "radical, leftist, academic, socialist, 'progressive,' enlightened know-nothings [who] are not even worthy of the name 'Jew.'" People on the list are often described using profanities, vulgar insults, racial epithets, and portrayed with photographs of animals. In some cases, their email addresses, telephone numbers, home addresses, and other private contact information are included as well.
Appearing on Masada2000's "S.H.I.T. LIST" has provoked a wide range of reaction. Francesca Yardenit Albertini, Jewish philosophy professor at Hochschule für Jüdische Studien (College of Jewish Studies) in Germany, expressed concern, saying "I can have my career negatively affected by such defamation." Stanley Aronowitz, a sociology professor, said he was "proud to be on the Masada2000 list." Yigal Bronner, an Israeli-born Professor of Sanskrit Literature at the University of Chicago, comments that, in its focus on Jews, the list is "antisemitism itself, the real shit... undisguised and unambiguous hatred for Jews."
Being included on the "S.H.I.T. LIST" has become something of a badge of honor among some Jewish leftists. As one woman explained, "I felt that I am in good company when I saw who else was on the list." According to one writer, "activists compare their status, those who are left out wondering whether they should submit themselves."
- "Masada2000.org Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Brian Whitaker (January 19, 2004). "Hate mail". The Guardian. Retrieved March 26, 2010.
- Menachem Wecker (May 2007). "In Defense of 'Self-Hating' Jews: Conversations with the Targets of Masada2000’s S.H.I.T. List". Jewish Currents. Retrieved July 21, 2007.
- Edwards, Richard (2008). "Masada2000.org". In Spencer C. Tucker. The Encyclopedia of the Arab-Israeli Conflict: A Political, Social, and Military History. Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO. pp. 669–670. ISBN 978-1-85109-841-5.
- Berkowitz, Roger (August 9, 2012). "Review of On the Origins of Jewish Self-Hatred by Paul Reitter". bookforum.com. Anthony Korner. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- Miriam Felton-Dansky (July 2005). "Guide to the Perplexing: The Baffling in Brief". New Voices. Archived from the original on March 11, 2007. Retrieved September 18, 2010.
- "Israel and Its Nuclear Arsenal: Share The Pain". Masada2000. Retrieved July 21, 2007. "In the next war, the Israel Defense Forces and the civilian population will hopefully rid themselves of the Arab demographic threat by expelling hostile Arabs from BOTH the 'liberated' territories of '67 AND the Arab cancer growing WITHIN Israel herself!"
- "The Growing Arab Cancer WITHIN Israel". Masada2000. Retrieved July 21, 2007. "WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE ARAB Citizens of Israel! We are not talking about the so-called 'Palestinian' Arabs living in the West Bank and Gaza... It doesn't really matter that much since BOTH the Arabs in the West Bank/Gaza AND within Israel itself consider themselves to be 'Palestinians,' rather than Israelis!"
- "NO CHOICE BUT TRANSFER". Masada2000. Retrieved July 21, 2007. "[T]he Arabs must be transferred to Arab nations and the borders of Israel sealed."
- Thomas O'Dwyer (May 18, 2001). "Jewish Wolves on the Web". Haaretz. Archived from the original on March 11, 2007. Retrieved March 26, 2010. "Calling Lerner 'America's baddest little JewBoy' and 'that despicable self-hating Jewish worm,' Masada2000 adds: 'If you're ever in the San Francisco area, drop in on him at his home at [full address and detailed driving instructions given]. One more thing... be sure to mention our Web site.'"
- Ian Urbina (July 9, 2001). "You've Got Hate Mail: Extremist Web site targets Jews for criticizing Israel". In These Times. Retrieved July 24, 2007. "In May, an extremist pro-Israel Web site called 'Masada 2000' listed Lerner as one of 'the five most dangerous Jewish enemies of the Jewish people,' and posted detailed driving directions to his home address. Draped in guillotines, nooses and racist language, the site repeatedly stated: 'If you're ever in the San Francisco area, drop in on him at his home.'"
- "Self-Hating Jews Work to Destroy Jews and Israel!". Masada2000. Retrieved July 21, 2007. "[T]here are, unfortunately, Jews who despise being Jewish and wish Israel harm. ... In America, Jewish 'thinkers' are perfectly willing to spill their ink defending those who would spill Jewish blood. Foremost in this crusade is San Francisco's very own 'New Age Rabbi,' Michael Lerner... America's 'baddest' little Jew-Boy"
- Thomas O'Dwyer (May 18, 2001). "Jewish Wolves on the Web". Haaretz. Archived from the original on March 11, 2007. Retrieved March 26, 2010. "Lerner is named and abused as one of the five most dangerous Jewish enemies of the Jewish people – the others on the arbitrary list are MK Dedi Zucker, former Hebrew University professor and Holocaust survivor, Israel Shahak, Noam Chomsky, and Woody Allen."
- "Self-hating Jews... Part 2". Masada2000. Retrieved July 21, 2007. "Chomsky's writings create the impression that the Nazis could not have been any worse then (sic) the 'war criminals' of the U.S. and Israel."
- "Self-hating Jews... Part 2". Masada2000. Retrieved July 21, 2007. "Amira (the red-nosed betrayer of her own people) Hass, who never met an Arab-Palestinian terrorist she didn't like"
- "Self-hating Jews... Part 2". Masada2000. Retrieved July 21, 2007. "Jewish self-hatred, manic-depression and paranoia are all rolled into one and falls onto the not-so-broad shoulders of K. Stewart Konisberg, a.k.a. Woody Allen. When he's not obsessing about psychoanalysis, anal-retention, death and sex, Woody finds time to diligently do the work of the P.L.O."
- "SHIT LIST...7000+ Self-Hating Israel-Threatening Jews". Masada2000. Retrieved July 21, 2007.
- Bronner, Yigal (February 10, 2010). "Antisemitism without bounds". The Guardian. Retrieved March 24, 2010.