Masafumi Gotō in 2011.
|Birth name||Masafumi Gotō|
December 2, 1976 |
|Genres||Indie rock, Alternative rock|
|Occupation(s)||Lead vocalist, rhythm guitarist, songwriter, music producer|
|Associated acts||Asian Kung-Fu Generation, Skeletons|
|'75 Gibson Marauder
Gibson Les Paul Faded Double-cut
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Fender Combo Amplifier (Custom)
Masafumi Gotō (後藤 正文 Gotō Masafumi?) (December 2, 1976) is the lead vocalist, main songwriter and rhythm guitarist of the Japanese rock band Asian Kung-Fu Generation. Masafumi met fellow band members Kensuke Kita and Takahiro Yamada while attending a music club of Kanto Gakuin University. The three formed Asian Kung-Fu Generation in 1996, with drummer Kiyoshi Ijichi joining the band shortly after. As the main songwriter of the band, Gotō is accredited for engendering a majority of their lyrics, but has a strong tendency to share songwriting duties equally among his bandmates. His vocal style most often alternates between soft, melodic singing, and harder, harsher, yelling. Masafumi has a degree in economics and his favourite artists include Weezer, Number Girl, Oasis, Teenage Fanclub, and Beck. He launched his own music label, Only in Dreams and produces records for other artists such as Chatmonchy, Dr. Downer and The Chef Cooks Me. He was also one of the founding members of the band Skeletons (スケルトンズ?).
Asian Kung-Fu Generation
- "Lost" (2011) digital download
- "Lost" / "Lost (80kidz Remix)" (2012) 7" vinyl
- "The Long Goodbye" (2013) 7" vinyl as Gotch
- "Wonderland" (2014) 7" vinyl as Gotch
- "Route 6" (2014) 7" vinyl as Gotch
- New Order – Waiting for the Sirens' Call (2005) lyrics on "Krafty (Japanese Version)"
- Dr. Downer – Rising (2011) music director
- Special Others – Special Others (2011) collaboration on "Dance in Tsurumi"
- Feeder – Generation Freakshow (2012) vocals on "Idaho"
- Chatmonchy – "Kirakira Hikare" (2012) producer; vocals on "Karisomethod"
- Chatmonchy – Henshin (2012) producer on "Yes or No or Love" and "Kirakira Hikare"
- Dr. Downer – Gensō no Maboroshi (2013) producer
- The Chef Cooks Me – Kaitentai (2013) producer, vocals on "Kanjōsen wa Bokura o Nosete"
- ART-SCHOOL – YOU (2014) producer
- "ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION: Biography". ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION Official Website. Ki/oon Records Inc. Retrieved 2008-10-09.
- Caffrey, Rori (2004-11-11). "Asian Kung-Fu Generation Finally Kicks In". The Daily Yomiuri. The Yomiuri Shimbun. Retrieved 2008-11-06.[dead link]
- Kao, Larry (2005-11-03). "Talkin Bout My (Asian Kung-Fu) Generation". Asian Pacific Arts. UCLA Asia Institute. Retrieved 2008-11-06.
- Asian Kung-Fu Generation Fansite Flash Back! - Profile
- Masafumi Gotoh discography at Discogs
- Discography at RateYourMusic
- Only in Dreams label
- Asian Kung-Fu Generation