Fukase was born on 25 February 1934 in Hokkaido.
Among Fukase's early works was the Kill the Pigs (1961) concerning a slaughterhouse. Fukase's photographs of his family and his bride, received considerable attention in numerous exhibitions and magazines; these were collected in his second book, published in 1978.
The last book that he supervised, Karasu (Ravens), was shot in 1976 in Hokkaido in the wake of his divorce, and was published in 1986. The gloomy and emotional photos are a sharp contrast to his earlier works. In 2010, a panel of five experts convened by the British Journal of Photography selected Karasu as the best photobook published between 1986 and 2009.
- "Black Sun: the Eyes of Four." Museum of Modern Art, Oxford, England, December 1985 – February 1986; Serpentine Gallery, London, April–May 1986; Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, August–October 1986; University of Iowa Museum of Art, March–May 1987; San Diego Museum of Art, San Diego, September–October 1987; Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore, August–October 1988.
- "The Unpublished Works." Stephen Wirtz Gallery, San Francisco, May–June 2001.
- Yūgi (遊戯 / Homo Ludence). Eizō no Gendai 4. Tokyo: Chūōkōronsha, 1971.
- Yōko (洋子 / Yohko). Sonorama Shashin Sensho 8. Tokyo: Asahi Sonorama, 1978.
- Biba! Sasuke (ビバ！ サスケ / Viva Sasuke). Tokyo: Pet-Life-sha, 1979.
- Sasuke, Itoshiki Neko yo (サスケ、いとしき猫よ / Sasuke, My Dear Cat). Tokyo: Seinen-shokan, 1979.
- Neko no Mugi Wara Boshi (猫の麦わら帽子 / The Strawhat Cat). Tokyo: Bunka Shuppankyoku, 1979.
- Kūkai to Kōyasan (空海と高野山 / Kūkai and Mount Kōya). Nihon no Seiiki 2. Tokyo: Kōsei Shuppansha, 1982. ISBN 4-333-01042-X.
- Karasu (鴉 / Ravens). Yokohama: Sōkyūsha, 1986. In Japanese and English.
- Kazoku (家族 / Family). Tokyo: IBC, 1991. ISBN 4-87198-832-5.
- The Solitude of Ravens: a Photographic Narrative. San Francisco: Bedford Arts, 1991. ISBN 0-938491-23-7. US reprint of the 1986 book, in English only.
- Chichi no Kioku (父の記憶 / Memories of Father). Tokyo: IBC, 1991. ISBN 4-87198-833-3.
- Fukase Masahisa (深瀬昌久). Nihon no Shashinka 34. Tokyo: Iwanami Shoten, 1998. ISBN 4-00-008374-0.
- Bukubuku (家族 / Bubbling). Tokyo: Hysteric Glamour, 2004.
- Fukase Masahisa (深瀬昌久). Hysteric Twelve. Tokyo: Hysteric Glamour, 2004.
- Karasu (鴉 / The Solitude of Ravens). Tokyo: Rat Hole Gallery, 2008. Reprint of the 1986 book, with afterword in Japanese and English.
- Fukase, Masahisa. In: Grove Dictionary of Art. London: Macmillan, 2000. Accessed 1 March 2011.
- Nihon Shashinka Jiten (日本写真家事典 / 328 Outstanding Japanese Photographers). Kyoto: Tankōsha, 2000. ISBN 4-473-01750-8. (Japanese) Despite the alternative title, in Japanese only.
- Holborn, Mark. Black Sun: the Eyes of Four. Roots and Innovation in Japanese Photography. New York: Aperture, 1986. ISBN 0-89381-211-0.
- O'Hagan, Sean. Masahisa Fukase's Ravens: the Best Photobook of the Past 25 Years? The Guardian, 24 May 2010. Accessed 1 March 2011.
- Charrier, Philip. 'Becoming a Raven': Self-Representation, Narration, and Metaphor in Fukase Masahisa's 'Karasu' Photographs. Japanese Studies, Volume 29, Issue 2, September 2009, pages 209–234.
- Bainbridge, Simon. Ravens Tops All Photobooks in BJP Poll. British Journal of Photography, 5 May 2010. Accessed 1 March 2011.
- 写真家の深瀬昌久さん死去 「洋子」「鴉」など, Asahi Shinbun, 11 June 2012. Accessed 11 June 2012.
- University of Iowa Museum of Art. Exhibitions 1987. Accessed 30 January 2011.
- Dubin, Zan. Black Sun: the Dawn of the Nuclear Age Has Inspired an Exhibit of Work by Four of Japan's Foremost Contemporary Photographers. Los Angeles Times, 23 August 1987. Accessed 30 January 2011.
- Cook, Joan. Going on in the Northeast. New York Times, 28 August 1988. Accessed 30 January 2011.
- Stephen Wirtz Gallery. Masahisa Fukase. The Unpublished Works. 30 May – 30 June 2001. Accessed 30 January 2011.
- Ollman, Arthur. The model wife: photographs by Baron Adolph de Meyer, Alfred Stieglitz, Edward Weston, Harry Callahan, Emmet Gowin, Lee Friedlander, Masahisa Fukase, Seiichi Furuya, Nicholas Nixon. Boston: Little, Brown, 1999. ISBN 0-8212-2170-1.
- Fallis, Greg. Masahisa Fukase. Sunday Salon, Utata Tribal Photography, 21 September 2008.
- Masahisa Fukase. Portfolio of 55 images. (Russian)
- Robert Mann Gallery. Masahisa Fukase. Brief biography and 10 images.
- The Solitude of Ravens by Masahisa Fukase (review). 15 May 2006.
- Stephen Wirtz Gallery. Masahisa Fukase. Biography. With link to 8 images in "Selected Artwork, 1975-1982."