Masao Ito (伊藤正男 Itō Masao , born 1928 in Nagoya, Japan) is a Japanese neuroscientist, and director of the Riken Brain Science Institute. He won the 2006 Gruber Neuroscience Prize and the 1996 Japan Prize. He was elected a Foreign Member of the Royal Society in 1992.
Dr. Ito graduated from the University of Tokyo with an M.D. in 1953 and a Ph.D. in 1959. He was a research fellow at Australian National University from 1959 to 1962. He taught at the University of Toyko from 1963.
- "RIKEN Brain Science Institute". RIKEN. Retrieved 10 December 2012.
- "Author Information: Masao Ito". Pearson Education, FT Press. Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- "Laureates of the Japan Prize: The 1996 (12th) Japan Prize". The Japan Prize Foundation. Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- List of Fellows of the Royal Society, 1660 - 2007: A complete listing of all Fellows and Foreign Members since the foundation of the Society, A - J, The Royal Society, Library and Information Services, July 2007, retrieved 19 December 2012
- "MASAO ITO". Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Washington Office. Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- Ito, Masao (2006). "Distinguished Neuroscientists Interviewed: Masao Ito". History of Neuroscience (IBRO (International Brain Research Organization). Retrieved 19 December 2012).
- Larry R. Squirre, ed. (1998). The History of Neuroscience in Autobiography 2. Elsevier. ISBN 9780080534053.