||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010)|
Masao Yamamoto in Moscow (2009)
Masao Yamamoto (山本昌男 Yamamoto Masao?, born 1957 in Gamagori City in Aichi Prefecture, Japan) is a Japanese freelance photographer known for his small photographs, which seek to individualize the photographic prints as objects.
Yamamoto began his art studies as a painter, studying oil painting under Goro Saito in his native city. He presently uses photography to capture images evoking memories. He blurs the border between painting and photography however, by experimenting with his printing surfaces. He dyes, tones (with tea), paints on, and tears his photographs. His subjects include still-lives, nudes, and landscapes. He also makes installation art with his small photographs to show how each print is part of a larger reality.
21st Editions recently published Yamamoto's work in two limited editions, a Deluxe Edition ($9000) and Prism book ($750).
- Kawa=Flow, Craig Krull Gallery, Santa Monica. January 2011.
- “KAWA=FLOW”, Fifty One Fine art photography,Antwerp, Belgium 2009
- “KAWA=FLOW”, PDX Contemporary Art, Portland, OR; 2009
- "YAMAMOTO MASAO". Craig Krull Gallery, Santa Monica. January 2008.
- "Kawa=Flow". Yancey Richardson Gallery, New York. September October 2008.
- "YAMAMOTO MASAO" PDX Contemporary Art, Portland, OR; 2007
- YAMAMOTO MASAO GALLERIA CARLA SOZZANI, Milano; 2007
- Nakazora Quinzaine photographique Nantes, France; 2007
- Nakazora GALERIE GABRIEL ROLT, Amsterdam; 2007
- Nakazora, GALERIE CAMERA OBSCURA, Paris; 2006
- Installations, HACKELBURY FINE ART, London; 2006
- é, MIZUMA ART GALLERY, Tokyo; 2006
- é, GALLERY SINCERITE, Tyohashi; 2006
- “é“, PDX Contemporary Art, Portland, OR; 2005
- A box of Ku, Nazraeli Press, U.S.A., 1998
- Nakazora, Nazraeli Press, U.S.A., 2001
- Santoka, Harunatsuakifuyu sousho, Japan, 2003
- Omizuao, Nazraeli Press, U.S.A., 2003
- é, Nazraeli Press, U.S.A., 2005
- YAMAMOTO MASAO, 21st Editions, U.S.A., 2011
- 川KAWA=Flow, Kochuten Books, Japan, 2011
- Where we met, Lannoo Publishers, Belgium, 2011. A collaborating book with Belgian drawer and painter Arpaïs Du Bois.
- Masao Yamamoto at Craig Krull Gallery
- Masao Yamamoto's Webpage
- Masao Yamamoto's Photographic Haiku - Japan America Society of Greater Philadelphia
- Yamamoto Masao published by 21st Editions