Masataka Shimizu (清水 政孝 Shimizu Masataka?, born June 23, 1944) was the president and chief executive officer of Japanese electric utility Tepco from 2008 to 2011. He was also a vice-chairman of Keidanren, the employers' federation of the companies of Japan, until he stepped down after the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster. On July 25, 2012 he became an outside director of Fuji Oil.
He was born in June 23, 1944 in Kanagawa Prefecture, and graduated from Keio University in 1968. He was placed in charge of general affairs for Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Plant in 1983. He was appointed president of Tepco in June, 2008.
President of TEPCO
Before his presidency, the earthquake of Niigata in 2007 caused fire and radioactivity releases at the Kashiwazaki-Kariwa nuclear plant, forcing the plant to shut down. As a cost cutter, he was praised for improving profitability of the company.
After the Nuclear Crisis in Fukushima
Following Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster, Shimizu remained inside the general headquarters for two weeks beginning on March 13, 2011, two days after the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami. Because of his disappearance, rumors held that Shimizu had fled or committed suicide.
On March 7, 2012, before the anniversary of the disaster, Tepco announced that Chairman Katsumata Tsunehisa would attend the memorial ceremony. However, they refused to release the schedule of Shimizu.
- Officers of Nippon Keidanren : Chairman, Vice Chairmen
- Keidanren website "Watch Your Step" Retrieved on July 9, 2012
- Asahi Shimbun 東電社長、経団連副会長と電気事業連合会会長辞任の意向 Retrieved on July 9, 2012
- BBC website Tepco appointment stirs public anger in Japan Retrieved on July 5, 2012
- BBC website Tepco ex-executives get golden parachute Retrieved on July 5, 2012
- When it comes to mighty Tepco, pride goes before the fall, Japan Times, Tuesday, May 17, 2011
- Japan mulls nationalising Fukushima nuclear plant company, The Guardian, 29 March, 2011
- World Economic Forum Annual Meeting
- A Who’s Who of Davos AbsenteesJACK EWING
- Liberation - 25/03/2011: The mysterious disappearance of the chairman of Tepco
- 20 Minutes - 07/04/2011: Fukushima: The owner of Tepco resumed work after a stop disease
- Le Figaro - 20/05/2011 - [Tepco http://www.lefigaro.fr/societes/2011/05/20/04015-20110520ARTFIG00383-tepco-change-de-pdg-apres-une-perte-due-a-fukushima.php changes chairman after a loss due to Fukushima]
- The Japan Times  Retrieved on July 5, 2012