Mashed: Drive to Survive
|Publisher(s)||EU Empire Interactive
|Release date(s)||PlayStation 2 & Xbox
EU 18 June 2004 (Original)
NA 13 December 2006 (Updated)
|Genre(s)||Vehicular combat, racing|
An updated version called Mashed: Fully Loaded contained multiple game fixes, extra weapons, Two Exclusive Vehicles and Tracks Which Not Seen On Original Version, as it was developed on a different engine to that of the original version, but extra bugs are known. It also featured improved sound, graphics and load times and it was also the first time the game was released outside of Europe in 2005 and 2006 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox, simply titled as Drive to Survive, which was also the original subtitle for the game.
Mashed is a top-down vehicular combat racing video game, similar in style to Micro Machines, Circuit Breakers and Super Sprint. Each race consists of four vehicles. The player has to navigate various obstacles and obtain weapon pickups to succeed. The game operates a left-behind principle: the camera tries to keep all players in one screen, and if one drops far enough behind in the race, they are eliminated, and the other players race on. This continues until there is one player left, who is given two points, while the rest of the racers also gain or lose points depending on their final position in the round. The system then repeats until a player reaches a set number of points, usually 10 or 12. In multiplayer, knocked out players have the option of striking cars still racing with partially controlled missiles, known as airstrikes.
On the PlayStation 2 version, the game uniquely allowed four-player multiplayer: while the console itself only supported two controllers, the game used to so few buttons that it made possible for two people to share a controller - one player would use the D-pad and the left stick, the other would use the colored buttons and the right stick.
- Angel Peak
- Kharga Temple
- Ventura Blvd
- Keister Bay
- Polar Wharf
- Tierra Piedra
- Koko Bay
- Silver Creek
- Redpool Tip
- Hattan City
- Fort Gidlow (Fully Loaded Exclusive)
- Demolition (Fully Loaded Exclusive)
- Proximity Mine: Drops up to two proximity mines behind the player vehicle. After a pause of one second for arming, the mines explode when a vehicle (including the player that dropped it) drives over it or passes close by.
- Drum Bomb: Throws exploding barrels behind the player vehicle.
- Oil Slick: Pours oil onto the road behind the player vehicle, which reduces grip for any car that drives through it.
- Flamethrower: A rear-firing weapon which damages vehicles it hits.
- Shotgun: Fires shotgun blasts from both sides of the player vehicle, perpendicular to the direction of travel.
- Homing Missile: A missile which can be locked onto an opponent vehicle.
- Machine Gun: A front-firing gun which uses a laser sight to aim at opponents.
- Flash: Explodes in a flash which whites-out the screen for a short time, making it impossible for opponents to see their cars.
- Mortar: A front-firing mortar with three shots, which explode on impact.
- "Mashed: Drive to Survive Release Information for PlayStation 2". GameFAQs. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Mashed Fully Loaded Release Information for PlayStation 2". GameFAQs. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Mashed: Drive to Survive Release Information for Xbox". GameFAQs. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Mashed Fully Loaded Release Information for Xbox". GameFAQs. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Mashed: Drive to Survive Release Information for PC". GameFAQs. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Mashed: Drive to Survive for PlayStation 2". GameRankings. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Mashed: Drive to Survive for Xbox". GameRankings. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- "Mashed: Drive to Survive for PC". GameRankings. Retrieved 21 October 2013.
- Supersonic Software Ltd Mashed: Drive to Survive page
- Xplosiv Mashed: Drive to Survive PC page
- Xplosiv Mashed Fully Loaded page
- D3 Publisher page
- Empire support pages: Mashed: Drive To Survive PC, Mashed: Drive To Survive PS2, Mashed: Drive to Survive Empire, Mashed: Drive to Survive Xplosiv
- Mashed: Drive to Survive at MobyGames
- Unofficial Mashed: Drive to Survive & "Wrecked - Revenge Revisited" Discussion Forums
- Gas Trailer Video
- Supersonic Software, YouTube Channel