|Genre||electronic dance music, Boston bounce, dancehall, ragga, mashups, jungle, breakcore|
|Country of origin||United States|
The Mashit record label was founded in 2003 to "fill a need for speed-ragga, dub-core, and genre-blends".
Mashit grew out of Boston's Toneburst event production collective, founded by DJ C, DJ /rupture, and others in 1996. The collective produced more than 20 multi-media events in Boston and the greater New England area in the late '90s, and included musicians such as Hrvatski, Aaron Spectre, and DJ Flack.
The first Mashit 12-inch vinyl record featured label founder DJ C’s tracks alongside an Aaron Spectre remix. A series of 12-inches followed. In October 2004, BBC Radio One host John Peel chose Mashit as a “label of the month”, and since then the Mashit sound and ethos has continued to evolve.
In 2007, Mashit relaunched its label web site, accompanied by a new release schedule of digital downloads, a music blog, and a podcast.
Digital Discography (2007-Present)
- Cardopusher & Pacheko: ThisTroy EP (2008)
- DJ C: Mas Hits (2008)
- DJ C & Zulu: Gods & Robots (album) (2008)
- DJ C & Zulu: Gods & Robots Mixtape (2008)
- DJ Flack: Rock to the Rhythm (2008)
- Various: Boston Bounce Compilation (2008)
- DJ C & Zulu: Darling (2008)
- Bong-Ra: Panther Fight (2008)
- DJ C & Zulu: Body Work (2007)
- Murderbot: Ruff in the Bunny Fizness (2007)
- DJ C: Sonic Weapons (2007)
Vinyl Discography (2003-2005)
- Mashit 008 - Debaser and DJ C: Crazy Baldheads (2005)
- Mashit 007 - Murderbot: fi You / Twilight Zone (2005)
- Mashit 006 - DJ Flack: Meet Mr. Doobie / Story of Oh (2005)
- Mashit 005 - Wayne & Wax: A It Dat (2004)
- Mashit 004 - DJ C: Billy Jungle (2004)
- Mashit 003 - EOSS / Moosaka: Wacko Macko is Back / Masters of Technology (2004)
- Mashit 002 - DJ Sux / DJ C and Pamelia Kurstin / Sick: Fuck You George Bush / It Gets Worse / Steaktippin’ (2003)
- Mashit 001 - DJ C / Aaron Spectre: Conscience a Heng Dem (2003)
- Kid Kameleon's blog - article on background of Toneburst and the genesis of Mashit