Masivo Integrado de Occidente
|Locale||Santiago de Cali, Colombia|
|Transit type||Bus rapid transit|
|Number of lines||6|
|Number of stations||77|
|Operator(s)||Metro Cali S.A.|
The Masivo Integrado de Occidente (English: Western Mass Integrated), also referred to as MIO, is a bus rapid transit system that serves Santiago de Cali, Colombia. The system is operated through articulated buses which move in dedicated lanes. Approximately 97% of the city's spatial perimeter will be covered by this system, involving nearly 243 kilometers. The MIO will cover approximately 72% of Cali's public transportation needs.
The project was set in motion by an investment of US$405 million; with 70% contributed by the Colombian government and the remaining 30% by the municipality of Cali. These resources are destined to finance MIO's infrastructure: construction of trunks, fueling stations, rest stops, the system of stations, pedestrian bridges, terminals, and yards. The articulated buses have a capacity of 160 passengers and circulate exclusively on the trunks; in turn, the register type buses will transport between 80 and 100 people and they will travel through tramways and special diversions. The regular operation of the system is roughly from 5:00AM to 11:00PM.
Routes and stations
MIO has the following routes:
- Trunk Routes
- Routes with an E are express and do not stop at all the stations
- E21: Starts at Las Américas Station; stops at Versalles, Torre de Cali, Petecuy, San Pascual, Estadio, Tequendama, Unidad Deportiva, Pampalinda, Refugio, Caldas, Capri, Buitrera Stations, and ends at Universidades Station.
- E27: Starts at Las Américas Station, stops at all the stations of the Avenida 3ra Norte until Torre de Cali Station, and then, only stops at Santa Rosa, Santa Librada, Manzana del Saber, Estadio, Lido Stations, and ends at Unidad Deportiva Intermediate Terminal.
- E31: Starts at Chiminangos Station; stops at Flora Industrial, Torre de Cali, San Bosco (Towards south), San Pascual (Towards north), Estadio, Tequendama, Unidad Deportiva, Pampalinda, Buitrera Stations and ends at Universidades Station. (This route only works on 5:30 to 9:30 and 4:00 to 8:00, Mondays to Saturdays).
- E37: Starts at Chiminangos Station; stops at Flora Industrial, Torre de Cali, Centro (Towards south), San Pedro (Towards North), Petecuy (Towards North), Estadio, Tequendama Stations and ends at Unidad Deportiva Intermediate Terminal.
- The Routes with a T are trunks and stop at all the stations
- T31: Starts at Chiminangos Station, and ends at Universidades Station.
- T40: Starts at Andrés Sanín Terminal and ends at Plaza de Caycedo Station.
- T42: Starts at Andrés Sanín Terminal, and ends at Avenida de las Américas Station.
- T47A: Starts at Andrés Sanín Terminal and ends at Capri Station.
- T47B: Starts at Andrés Sanín Terminal and ends at Unidad Deportiva Station.
- T50: Starts at Nuevo Latír Station and ends at Centro Station.
- T57: Starts at Nuevo Latír Station and ends at Unidad Deportiva Station.
- The Trunk roads
- Avenida Las Américas
- Avenida 3rd North
- Calle 5ta - Carrera 100
- Carrera 15
- Calle 15 (one way)
- Calle 13 (one way)
- Carrera 1ra
- Carrera 28D
- Carrera 17
- Transferring terminals
- Terminal Universidades
- Terminal Unidad Deportiva
- Terminal Andrés Sanín
- Terminal Chiminangos
- http://www.metrocali.gov.co/mio_index.htm MIO description.
- http://www.elpais.com.co/paisonline/calionline/notas/Enero122009/Cali2.html www.elpais.com.co