|Otis "Mason" Hawkins|
|Alma mater||University of Florida
University of Georgia
|Known for||Founded Southeastern Asset Management, Inc. in 1975|
Otis "Mason" Hawkins is a noted value investor and the Founder, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Southeastern Asset Management, Inc. He has been in the investment business for more than 40 years. In 1975, Hawkins founded Southeastern Asset Management, a $35 billion employee-owned, global investment management firm and the investment advisor to the Longleaf Partners Funds, a suite of mutual funds and UCITS funds.
Hawkins was Director of Research at First Tennessee Investment Management (1974–1975) and Director of Research at Atlantic National Bank (1972–1973), prior to founding Southeastern. He received a B.A. in Finance from the University of Florida in 1970 and an M.B.A. in Finance from the University of Georgia in 1971. Hawkins also holds the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation.
Mason Hawkins is a value investor. When considering prospective investments, he looks for three criteria: strong businesses with good people, at deeply discounted prices.
Hawkins invests in businesses with solid balance sheets. He looks for businesses that trade at far below intrinsic value and have a capable management team, which are important factors for long-term success. His firm, Southeastern Asset Management, has concentrated portfolios with 18-22 stocks usually.
Awards & Mentions
Hawkins received Institutional Investor (magazine)’s Lifetime Achievement Award in 2005. He and Southeastern Asset Management President and Chief Investment Officer Staley Cates were also named Morningstar, Inc. Domestic Equity Fund Managers of the Year in 2006 and were nominees for the same in 2003 and 2009. Hawkins’s firm, Southeastern Asset Management, was selected as Equity Manager of the Year at the Foundation and Endowment Money Management’s Nonprofit Awards for Excellence in 2007.
- "O. MASON HAWKINS". Tiger 21. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- "Mason Hawkins Resource Page". Value Walk. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- "Longleaf Partners Funds". Longleaf Partners Funds. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- "SOUTHEASTERN ASSET MANAGEMENT INC". Whale Wisdom. March 31, 2014.
- "Mason Hawkins Bio, Returns, Net Worth". Insider Monkey. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- "Southeastern Asset Management, Inc." (PDF). The Conference Board, Inc. September 30, 2009.
- "Otis Mason Hawkins CFA". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- GuruFocus (May 15, 2013). "Mason Hawkins Increases Holdings in 5 Stocks". NASDAQ.
- "O. Mason Hawkins". Morningstar, Inc. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "Longleaf's Hawkins Wins Lifetime Achievement Award". Institutional Investor (magazine). January 11, 2005.
- "FCBE Events". University of Memphis. October 4, 2012.
- "Nonprofit Awards for Excellence: Equity Manager of the Year" (PDF). Institutional Investor (magazine). November 2007.
- Southeastern Asset Management website
- Southeastern Asset Management Stock Holdings
- Good Things Happen to Those Who Wait, BusinessWeek article about Hawkins
- Bouts of Market Fear and Company Shortfalls Have Created Compelling Opportunities, Outstanding Investor Digest article about Hawkins
- Better Know a Stock Picker, Motley Fool article about Hawkins
- The Best Mutual Fund Company in America, Money Magazine article about Hawkins
- 2006 Fund Managers of the Year, Morningstar article about Hawkins and his partner Staley Cates