Massabesic High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2009)|
|Massabesic High School|
|88 West Road
Waterboro, Maine, 04087
|School district||RSU 57|
|Number of students||approx. 1100|
|Color(s)||green, white, gold|
|Athletics||football, basketball, soccer, baseball, softball, wrestling, track and field, swimming, lacrosse, tennis, golf, cheerleading, field hockey, hockey, cross country,|
|Athletics conference||Western Maine, Class A|
Massabesic High School, Pronounced "MASS-UH-BEE-SIK" is a public high school located in Waterboro, Maine, United States. The school is part of the RSU 57 school system, which serves six southwestern Maine towns with a combined population of approximately 22,000 residents: Alfred, Limerick, Lyman, Newfield, Shapleigh and Waterboro.
The school is divided into 2 separate buildings: the West building which serves grades 10-12, and the East building (sometimes referred to as the Freshman Academy) which often serves grade 9.
Massabesic High School first opened in 1969 with an enrollment of over nine-hundred students within the grades of 9 through 12. Over the years, the student population increased to its current enrollment of nearly 1,100.
The East Building expansion
On August 29, 2007, Massabesic High School occupied the former Massabesic Junior High School building to open the East Building which expanded the high school, eliminating overcrowding issues.
The east building contains all of the freshman, the foreign language department and the N.J.R.O.T.C. program. It is also the adult education center for R.S.U.# 57.
Massabesic Middle School
The middle school was opened in 2006 and serves students in sixth through eighth grades. Prior to the opening to Massabesic Middle School, seventh and eighth grade students from across the school district attended Massabesic Junior High School.
- MHS is a member of the MASC
- MHS was one of the Maine schools which did not make "Adequate Yearly Progress", according to the Maine Department of Education in 2006.
- Previous dramatic overcrowding (with some class sizes exceeding 30) was almost eliminated with the opening of the Freshman Academy in August 2007. This helped solve some of the overcrowding issues, but some classes still must be held in portable trailers.
- MHS has a prominent arts department, featuring many theater arts classes and groups as well as choral and band groups with scheduled competitions.
Massabesic High School's team name for all of its athletic teams is called the Massabesic Mustangs.
- In 2000, the Massabesic Mustangs football team won the Class A state championship with a 12-0 season.
- The Girls Lacrosse team won the Class A State Championship in 2007 and 2013.
- The wrestling team won the Class A championships in 1975, 1998, 2007 and 2008.
- The Boys swim team won state champion ships 2008-2009.
- The Girls Cross Country Team placed second in both the regional finals and state finals.
- The Boys Cross Country Team won the Class A state championship in 2012.
- Massabesic High school's Odyssey of the Mind team finished at the top of its division in the 2005 Odyssey of the Mind World Finals.
- Massabesic Drill Team, a part of the NJROTC placed 3rd overall in the Greater New England Drill League in the 2006-07 season.
- Massabesic Drill Team's Armed Exhibition, Unarmed Exhibition, and Personnel Inspection also placed well in the 2006-07 season.
- DeAngelis, Michael (November 10, 2005). "Football finalists on common ground". Keep Me Current. Retrieved September 7, 2014.
- Stillman, Dan (June 23, 2005). "The End of an Odyssey". NASA. Retrieved September 7, 2014.