Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (April 2013)|
The Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology, known as MSPP, is a graduate college of psychology founded in 1974 in the Boston, Massachusetts neighborhood of West Roxbury. The school relocated to the neighboring town of Newton in 2012. With nearly 600 students, MSPP offers eleven graduate academic degree programs and one academic graduate certificate across four departments: Clinical Psychology, Counseling Psychology, Organizational and Leadership Psychology, and School Psychology. MSPP has three centers: the Brenner Center for Psychological Assessment and Testing,  Freedman Center for Child and Family Development and the Lucero Center for Latino Mental Health Program.
MSPP uses an experiential education model, which combines academic instruction with supervised clinical experience. Students are in the field beginning in the first year, and are placed in various local field facilities including social service agencies, schools, hospitals, community mental health centers, child guidance clinics, court clinics, college counseling centers, private agencies and corporate settings.
The Lucero Latino Mental Health Training Program is a concentration open to students from many of the graduate programs, specializing in the specific mental health needs of Latino patients or clients. The Dr. Cynthia Lucero Center, which sponsors the concentration in Latino Mental Health, was founded by the friends and family of the late Dr. Cynthia Lucero, a graduate of MSPP. Lectures and scholarships in Cynthia’s memory are also sponsored by the Lucero Center. The academic concentration provides relevant coursework and summer immersion programs in Costa Rica and Ecuador focused on improving Spanish language skills and exposure to Latino cultures through community service mental health work.
One distinguishing MSPP program is designed to Train Vets to Treat Vets. Recently awarded a grant from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, MSPP is working to recruit veterans and train them to meet the mental health needs of their fellow service men and women. MSPP participates in the Veteran’s Administration Yellow Ribbon Program and provides matching grant assistance to eligible veterans.
- Counseling Psychology, MA 
- Counseling Psychology and Community Mental Health, MA 
- Counseling Psychology and Primary Care, MA 
- Forensic and Counseling Psychology, MA (Blended)
Organizational and Leadership Psychology
- Leadership Psychology, PsyD (Blended). See also an explanation of Leadership Psychology
- Media Psychology MA. See also definition of media psychology.
- Applied Psychology: Higher Education Student Personnel Administration, MA (Online)
- Counseling Psychology and Global Mental Health, MA 
- Organizational Psychology, MA (Blended, Online)
- Executive Coaching, Graduate Certificate (Blended) 
MSPP is accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA)[dubious ]  and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). The MA/CAGS in School Psychology is an approved program by the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP).
Continuing and community education
MSPP offers professional continuing education for psychologists, social workers, nurses, mental health counselors, school psychologists, counselors, other mental health professionals, educators, businessmen and women, psychotherapists, and the community.
In addition, the Freedman Center for Child and Family Development, offers courses for parents.
Notes and references
- MSPP Home Page - www.mspp.edu
- "Graduate Psychology School Field Placement & Training" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/field-placement/default.asp
- "Latino Mental Health Training Program - MSPP Lucero Center" - http://www.mspp.edu/community/lucero-center/default.asp
- "Remembering Dr. Cynthia Lucero: The Marathon Solution" - http://bostonmarathoncoach.wordpress.com/2011/04/28/remembering-dr-cynthia-lucero/
- "Meet Our Lucero Scholars: The Dr. Cynthia Lucero Center at MSPP" - http://www.mspp.edu/community/lucero-center/scholars.asp
- "MSPP Continues Commitment to the Mental Health of Veterans" - http://www.mspp.edu/about/pressroom/press-releases/2010-03-08.asp
- "Find Yellow Ribbon Schools" - http://www.armedforcesedu.com/get-my-degree/yellow-ribbon/?source=100777
- PsyD Program, Concentration in Childhood, Adolescence, and Family - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/psyd/caf.asp
- "Children & Families of Adversity and Resilience (PsyD concentration)" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/psyd/adversity.asp
- "PsyD Program (Doctorate in Clinical Psychology) - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/psyd/default.asp
- "Masters Program in Counseling Psychology" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/counseling-psych-ma/default.asp
- "Community Mental Health Masters Program" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/community-mental-health-ma/default.asp
- "Masters in Counseling Psychology and Primary Care, Boston, MA" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/primary-care-ma/default.asp
- "Forensic Psychology Masters Program, MSPP" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/forensic-ma/default.asp
- "PsyD Program in Leadership Psychology" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/leadership-psyd/default.asp
- "Master of Arts in Applied Psychology: Higher Education Student Personnel Administration, Online" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/applied-psych-hespa-ma/default.asp
- Masters in Counseling Psychology and Global Mental Health, Boston, MA" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/global-mental-health-ma/default.asp
- Masters Program in Organizational Psychology - The Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/organizational-psych-ma/default.asp
- "Executive Coaching Program - The Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/executive-coaching/default.asp
- PsyD Program in School Psychology - The Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology, Boston, MA" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/school-psyd/default.asp
- "School Psychology Masters (MA) & Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (CAGS)" - http://www.mspp.edu/academics/degree-programs/school-ma-cags/default.asp
- "Accreditation" - http://apa.org/education/grad/program-accreditation.aspx
- "New England Association of Schools and Colleges: Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (CIHE) - http://cihe.neasc.org/
- "National Association of School Psychologists" - http://www.nasponline.org/
- "Continuing Education Programs for Psychologists" - http://www.apa.org/education/ce/index.aspx
- School Website
- MSPP Continuing Education Website
- Freedman Center for Child and Family Development
- Brenner Center for Psychological Assessment and Consultation
- Dr. Cynthia Lucero Center