The Massachusetts Senate is the upper house of the Massachusetts General Court, the bicameral state legislature of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The Senate comprises 40 elected members from 40 single-member senatorial districts in the state. All but one of the districts are named for the counties in which they are located (the "Cape and Islands" district covers Dukes, Nantucket, and parts of Barnstable counties). Senators serve two-year terms, without term limits. The Senate convenes in the Massachusetts State House, in Boston.
The current session is the 188th General Court, which convened January 2, 2013. It consists of 36 Democrats and 3 Republicans. The President of the Senate is Therese Murray of Plymouth. The Senate Majority Leader, Stanley Rosenberg of the Democratic Party, was named on February 1, 2013. The Senate Minority Leader, from the Republican Party, is Bruce Tarr of Gloucester. The last state general election was on November 6, 2012.
Composition of the 188th General Court
(Shading indicates majority caucus)
|End of 187th General Court||36||4||40||0|
|Start of 188th General Court||36||4||40||0|
|February 1, 2013[a]||35||39||1|
|June 14, 2013[a]||36||40||0|
|August 9, 2013[b]||3||39||1|
|November 20, 2013||36||4||40||0|
|Latest voting share||92.3%||10%|
The Senate leadership was announced in late January 2013.
|President||Therese Murray||Democratic||Plymouth||Plymouth & Barnstable|
|Majority Leader||Stanley Rosenberg||Democratic||Amherst||Hampshire, Franklin & Worcester|
|President Pro Tempore||Richard T. Moore||Democratic||Uxbridge||Worcester and Norfolk|
|Minority Leader||Bruce Tarr||Republican||Gloucester||1st Essex and Middlesex|
The members of the 188th Senate, sorted by district name, are as follows.
|–||Senator||Party||District||Home Town/City||Term start|
|Downing, BenjaminBenjamin Downing||D||BeHsFHd Berkshire, Hampshire, Franklin, and Hampden||Pittsfield||Jan. 2007|
|Timilty, JamesJames Timilty||D||BrN Bristol and Norfolk||Walpole||Jan. 2005|
|Rodrigues, MichaelMichael Rodrigues||D||BrP1 1st Bristol and Plymouth||Westport||Jan. 2011|
|Montigny, MarkMark Montigny||D||BrP2 2nd Bristol and Plymouth||New Bedford||Jan. 1993|
|Wolf, DanDan Wolf||D||CI Cape and Islands||Harwich||Jan. 2011|
|Ives, Kathleen O'ConnorKathleen O'Connor Ives||D||E1 1st Essex||Newburyport||Jan. 2013|
|Lovely, JoanJoan Lovely||D||E2 2nd Essex||Salem||Jan. 2013|
|McGee, Thomas M.Thomas M. McGee||D||E3 3rd Essex||Lynn||May 2002|
|Tarr, BruceBruce Tarr||R||EM1 1st Essex and Middlesex||Gloucester||Jan. 1995|
|Finegold, BarryBarry Finegold||D||EM2 2nd Essex and Middlesex||Andover||Jan. 2011|
|Welch, James T.James T. Welch||D||Hd Hampden||West Springfield||Jan. 2011|
|Candaras, Gale D.Gale D. Candaras||D||HdHs1 1st Hampden and Hampshire||Wilbraham||Jan. 2007|
|Humason, Jr., DonaldDonald Humason, Jr.||R||HdHs2 2nd Hampden and Hampshire||Westfield||Nov. 2013|
|Rosenberg, StanleyStanley Rosenberg||D||HsFW Hampshire and Franklin and Worcester||Amherst||Feb. 1991|
|Donoghue, EileenEileen Donoghue||D||M1 1st Middlesex||Lowell||Jan. 2011|
|Jehlen, Patricia D.Patricia D. Jehlen||D||M2 2nd Middlesex||Somerville||Sep. 2005|
|Barrett, Michael J.Michael J. Barrett||D||M3 3rd Middlesex||Lexington||Jan. 2013|
|Donnelly, KenKen Donnelly||D||M4 4th Middlesex||Arlington||Jan. 2009|
|Clark, KatherineKatherine Clark||D||M5 5th Middlesex||Melrose||Jan. 2011|
|Creem, Cynthia StoneCynthia Stone Creem||D||MN1 1st Middlesex and Norfolk||Newton||Jan. 1999|
|Spilka, KarenKaren Spilka||D||MN2 2nd Middlesex and Norfolk||Ashland||Jan. 2005|
|DiDomenico, SalSal DiDomenico||D||MS Middlesex and Suffolk||Everett||May 2010|
|Eldridge, James B.James B. Eldridge||D||MW Middlesex and Worcester||Acton||Jan. 2009|
|Ross, RichardRichard Ross||R||NBrM Norfolk, Bristol and Middlesex||Wrentham||May 2010|
|Joyce, BrianBrian Joyce||D||NBrP Norfolk, Bristol and Plymouth||Milton||Jan. 1998|
|Keenan, JohnJohn Keenan||D||NP Norfolk and Plymouth||Quincy||Jan. 2011|
|Rush, Michael F.Michael F. Rush||D||NS Norfolk and Suffolk||Boston||Jan. 2011|
|Murray, ThereseTherese Murray||D||PBa Plymouth and Barnstable||Plymouth||Jan. 1993|
|Pacheco, MarcMarc Pacheco||D||PBr1 1st Plymouth and Bristol||Taunton||Jan. 1993|
|Kennedy, Thomas P.Thomas P. Kennedy||D||PBr2 2nd Plymouth and Bristol||Brockton||Jan. 2009|
|Hedlund, RobertRobert Hedlund||R||PN Plymouth and Norfolk||Weymouth||Jan. 1995|
|Forry, Linda DorcenaLinda Dorcena Forry||D||S1 1st Suffolk||Boston||June 2013|
|Chang-Diaz, SoniaSonia Chang-Diaz||D||S2 2nd Suffolk||Boston||Jan. 2009|
|Petruccelli, AnthonyAnthony Petruccelli||D||SM1 1st Suffolk and Middlesex||Boston||Jan. 2008|
|Will Brownsberger !Will Brownsberger||D||SM2 2nd Suffolk and Middlesex||Belmont||Jan. 2012|
|Chandler, HarrietteHarriette Chandler||D||W1 1st Worcester||Worcester||Jan. 2001|
|Moore, Michael O.Michael O. Moore||D||W2 2nd Worcester||Millbury||Jan. 2009|
|Brewer, StephenStephen Brewer||D||WHdHsM Worcester, Hampden, Hampshire and Middlesex||Barre||Jan. 1997|
|Flanagan, JenniferJennifer Flanagan||D||WM Worcester and Middlesex||Leominster||Jan. 2009|
|Moore, Richard T.Richard T. Moore||D||WN Worcester and Norfolk||Uxbridge||Apr. 1996|
- Democrat Jack Hart (1st Suffolk) resigned effective February 1, 2013 to join the Boston law office of Nelson Mullins. Democrat Linda Forry was sworn in to succeed Hart on June 14, 2013.
- Republican Michael Knapik (2nd Hampden and Hampshire) resigned August 9, 2013. Republican Donald Humason, Jr. was sworn in to succeed Knapik on November 20, 2013.
- Massachusetts Senate Delegations
- Massachusetts House of Representatives
- Massachusetts Senate elections, 2004, Massachusetts Senate elections, 2006, Massachusetts Senate elections, 2008, Massachusetts Senate elections, 2010
- Constitution of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Article LXXXII.
- "Exit opens floodgates for Senate presidency". Boston Herald. January 30, 2013.
- Salsberg, Bob. "Leadership team named for Mass. Senate". boston.com. Retrieved 2 February 2013.
- Southie's Jack Hart to leave Senate
- Linda Dorcena Forry sworn in as State Senator
- Odds in Mass. Senate just get worse for GOP
- Murphy, Matt (January 31, 2013). "State Sen. Stanley Rosenberg of Amherst named new majority leader in reworked Massachusetts senate leadership team". MassLive.
- Senate Members of the General Court official government website
- Official Senate district definitions
- State Senate of Massachusetts at Project Vote Smart
- Massachusetts Senate at Ballotpedia