The Massachusetts Senate is the upper house of the Massachusetts General Court, the bicameral state legislature of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The Senate comprises 40 elected members from 40 single-member senatorial districts in the state. All but one of the districts are named for the counties in which they are located (the "Cape and Islands" district covers Dukes, Nantucket, and parts of Barnstable counties). Senators serve two-year terms, without term limits. The Senate convenes in the Massachusetts State House, in Boston.
The current session is the 188th General Court, which convened January 2, 2013. It consists of 35 Democrats and 4 Republicans. The President of the Senate is Therese Murray of Plymouth. The Senate Majority Leader, Stanley Rosenberg of the Democratic Party, was named on February 1, 2013. The Senate Minority Leader, from the Republican Party, is Bruce Tarr of Gloucester. The last state general election was on November 6, 2012.
Composition of the 188th General Court 
(Shading indicates majority caucus)
|End of 187th General Court||36||4||40||0|
|Start of 188th General Court||36||4||40||0|
|February 1, 2013[a]||35||39||1|
|Latest voting share||89.7%||10.3%|
The Senate leadership was announced in late January 2013.
|President||Therese Murray||Democratic||Plymouth||Plymouth & Barnstable|
|Majority Leader||Stanley Rosenberg||Democratic||Amherst||Hampshire, Franklin & Worcester|
|President Pro Tempore||Richard T. Moore||Democratic||Uxbridge||Worcester and Norfolk|
|Minority Leader||Bruce Tarr||Republican||Gloucester||1st Essex and Middlesex|
The members of the 188th Senate, sorted by district name, are as follows.
- Democrat Jack Hart (1st Suffolk) resigned effective February 1, 2013 to join the Boston law office of Nelson Mullins. A special election to succeed Hart will be held May 30, 2013, following a primary on April 30. Declared candidates for the Democratic nomination include state Rep. Linda Dorcena Forry and state Rep. Nick Collins.
See also 
- Massachusetts Senate Delegations
- Massachusetts House of Representatives
- Massachusetts Senate elections, 2004, Massachusetts Senate elections, 2006, Massachusetts Senate elections, 2008, Massachusetts Senate elections, 2010
- Constitution of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Article LXXXII.
- "Exit opens floodgates for Senate presidency". Boston Herald. January 30, 2013.
- Salsberg, Bob. "Leadership team named for Mass. Senate". boston.com. Retrieved 2 February 2013.
- Southie's Jack Hart to leave Senate
- Linda Dorcena Forry, Nick Collins to run for state Senate
- Murphy, Matt (January 31, 2013). "State Sen. Stanley Rosenberg of Amherst named new majority leader in reworked Massachusetts senate leadership team". MassLive.
- Senate Members of the General Court official government website
- Official Senate district definitions
- State Senate of Massachusetts at Project Vote Smart
- Massachusetts Senate at Ballotpedia