Massacre of Brzostowica Mała
|Brzostowica Mała after the annexation by the USSR|
Massacre of Brzostowica Mała occurred on September 18, 1939, during the Polish September Campaign, in the village of Brzostowica Mała (Malaya Berestovitsa) now located in Belarus. It was a mass murder of Polish inhabitants of the village who lived there, organized by pro-communist militia consisting of local Jews and Belarusians from delegalized Communist Party of Western Belarus armed by the Soviets. The event, first described in the Nasz Dziennik newspaper, has been investigated by the Polish Institute of National Remembrance between 2001-2005. The Institute has determined that the massacre did indeed occur and fell within its communist crime jurisdiction, but because all 16 witnesses interviewed by the IPN were only second-hand, most of the details cannot be confirmed with full certainty.
The witnesses interviewed by the newspaper and later, by the Institute, claimed that many Poles (by 2003 IPN has confirmed 7 deaths) were massacred on that day. Among those killed were local officials (including teachers and post office personnel), as well as the members of the szlachta family of Wołkowicki, including Count Antoni Wołkowicki, his wife and his mother buried alive. The IPN describes the murders as having been carried out by pro-Communist squads associated with the anti-Polish Skidal uprising triggered by the Soviet invasion of Poland which had taken place a day before.
- (Polish) Instytut Pamięci Narodowej, PRZEGLĄD MEDIÓW 24 February 2005.
- (Polish) PRZEGLĄD MEDIÓW - 22-24 September 2003.
- (Polish) Informacja o działalności Instytutu Pamięci Narodowej–Komisji Ścigania Zbrodni przeciwko Narodowi Polskiemu w okresie 1 lipca 2002r. – 30 czerwca 2003r. Warszawa, listopad 2003. sygn. akt S 50/01/Zk p.52
- Marek Wierzbicki (1997). "Powstanie skidelskie 1939" (stored by the Internet Archive). Białystok: Białoruskie Zeszyty Historyczne, nr 7. Retrieved December 13, 2012.
- (Polish) Śledztwo IPN w sprawie zbrodni komunistycznej w Brzostowicy gazeta.pl, 2001-10-04
- (Polish) Marek Wierzbicki, Czystki kresowe, Wprost, 38/2002 (1034)