Массандра – Масандра
|Elevation||300 m (1,000 ft)|
|Time zone||MSK (UTC+4)|
|Postal code||98650, 98651|
Massandra or Masandra (Ukrainian: Масандра; Russian: Массандра; Crimean Tatar: Massandra) is an urban-type settlement in the Yalta Municipality of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea, a territory recognized by a majority of countries as part of Ukraine and incorporated by Russia as the Republic of Crimea. Population: 8,571 (2013 est.).
Occupying the spot of an ancient Greek settlement (Tavrida-Ταυρίδα), Masandra was acquired by Counts Potocki in 1783.
In the mid-19th century, it passed to Prince Vorontsov Jr, whose father was the governor of New Russia. Enraptured by a picturesque setting, Vorontsov in 1881 engaged a team of French architects to design for him a château in the Louis XIII style. He died the following year and construction work was suspended until 1889, when the messuage was purchased by Alexander III of Russia. The tsar asked architect Maximilian Messmacher to finish the palace for his own use but he did not live to see it completed in 1900. During the Soviet years, the palace was employed by Joseph Stalin as his dacha.
On 2014 Massandra has become one of the official residences of the President of Russia.
Today, Masandra is known for its viniculture and production of dessert and fortified wines. The Massandra Winery was founded by Prince Lev Golitsyn in 1894. The enoteca of the winery contains about one million bottles of wine.
- Euxinograd near Varna, the site of a similar seaside château, commissioned by Ferdinand I of Bulgaria
- This place is located on the Crimean Peninsula, most of which is the subject of a territorial dispute between Russia and Ukraine. According to the political division of Russia, located on the peninsula are the federal subjects of the Russian Federation (the Republic of Crimea and the federal city of Sevastopol). According to the administrative-territorial division of Ukraine, located on the peninsula are the Ukrainian divisions (the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the city with special status of Sevastopol).
- "Чисельність наявного населення України (Actual population of Ukraine)" (in Ukrainian). State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- Evans, Andrew; Pasquale, Massimiliano Di (2013). Ukraine. Bradt Travel Guides. p. 345. ISBN 978-1-84162-450-1.
- История. Торговый дом Массандра (History. Massandra trading company)
- Визитка. Кратко о Массандре. Торговый дом Массандра (Buisiness Card. A brief information about Massandra. Massandra trading company)