Ellul is the chief executive of a group of companies in the marketing and management consultancy field operating in Malta, London, Edinburgh, Sicily and Dubai, He specialised his studies in marketing and management in Malta, the UK and the US and is an alumnus of the Judge Business School of the University of Cambridge. He is also an elected official of the Executive Committee of the European Forum for Urban Security  under the aegis of the Council of Europe. In Scotland, Dr. Ellul was very much involved with the Friends of Rosslyn, and has lectured extensively in the region.
He occupied various posts in the Malta Labour Party, including Secretary of the Youth Commission, International Secretary of the Young Socialists, President of the Young Students' Movement, Assistant General Secretary and Assistant Education Secretary of the Malta Labour Party. Throughout his political career, he chaired a number of important party committees and was responsible for extensive mass events in Malta. He was a Parliamentary Candidate for the Malta general elections of 1996 and 1998.,
In 2002, he was appointed as Chancellor of the Grand Priory of the Mediterranean of the Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem and is the Chairman of the Saint Lazarus Foundation. In 2008, he was appointed as the Grand Chancellor of the Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem.
Massimo Ellul is also the Chairman of the annual Malta International Folk Festival, and sits on/consults the board of directors of various firms and organisations in Malta, England, Scotland, Sicily and Dubai. In Malta, his events management firm was instrumental in projecting a number of innovative firsts, including the promotion of international arena bands on the island, exporting Maltese talent, the promotion of live music and the use of billboarding for cultural events. His firm has been solicited on various occasions to give marketing and management consultancy services to a number of government ministries and entities in regions as diverse as Malta, Dubai, Al Ain, Hungary, Slovenia, the Sultanate of Oman, the United Kingdom and others. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts and a Companion of the Institute of Sales & Marketing Management, amongst other international institutions.
- Giornale di Brescia, 12.02.1997, page 21
- Gulf News - Business Section, 06.07.2002, page 29
- Dictionary of Maltese Biographies Volume 1, (Michael J. Sciavone) PIN Publishing 2009, ISBN 978-99932-91-32-9
- Imhatra li Diga Insejt - Peter Darmanin - PIN Publishing 1996, ISBN 99909-41-29-7
- General Elections - Michael J Schiavone - PIN Publishing 2003, ISBN 99932-41-50-4
- Who's Who in the House 1921-2006 - Joe Felice Pace - Midsea Books 2006, ISBN 978-99932-7-115-4
- World Orders of Knighthood and Chivalry, Volume 2 - Burke's Peerage and Gentry - 2006, ISBN 0-9711966-7-2
- The Malta Book of Records - Frans A. Attard - Uptrend Publishing 1999, ISBN 99932-0-037-9
- The Winning Edge, Journal of the Institute of Sales and Marketing Management, UK, May 1998